News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinraith

Edit:

Since so many services are running weekly and weekend game discounts these days, I figured we could use this thread as a repository for anything you find and think is worth pointing out. I'll try to drop what I see as the best deals of a given weekend in here for your consideration, everyone else should feel free to do the same.

Original Post follows:
-----

Gamersgate is having a massive 50% off sale on their Ubisoft catalogue. Anyone that missed the equivalent event on Steam (or passed because Steam's kind of a pain) might want to have a look.

www.gamersgate.com

Should I pick up World in Conflict?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

And if you really want it, Vin, I'll sell you my hard copy for $5.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

vinraith

Quote from: Habbaku on April 28, 2009, 02:51:43 PM
And if you really want it, Vin, I'll sell you my hard copy for $5.

That bad, huh? Care to give me some specifics?

Habbaku

It struck me as another overly-generic RTS with too little emphasis on long-term planning.  Many of the features (separate weapon branches for air/land, resource growth, nukes, the "tech" tree) were certainly interesting at the time, but the longevity of it all quickly proved non-existent for me as first one thing, then another would prove over-powered--artillery, then tanks, etc.  If I picked it up again right now, I'd probably enjoy a few skirmish maps, but I'd see no reason to continue to come back to it as opposed to, say, Company of Heroes.

Keep in mind that my impression is based upon the release and the post-release period of about two months.  The expansion and the patches may very well have made the game more fun, but I certainly didn't get my money's worth.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

vinraith

OK, thanks for the summary Hab. I'll probably just pass on it, I've got too many unplayed games in the pile as it is.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

PSA:

L4D Freaky Free Friday Coming on Steam
April 29, 2009, 4:25 pm - Valve - General Announcement

Beginning Friday at 12:01 am GMT, the PC version of Left 4 Dead will be available for a free 24-hour trial via Steam. The free trial will include access to the recently released Survival Pack DLC, which introduces a new multiplayer game mode and two additional Versus campaigns. Those who wish to give L4D and the Survival Pack a try may now pre-load everything needed to play with no obligation to purchase.

In case any of you hadn't played the game yet and are looking to try the game before you pull the trigger.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

vinraith

PSA:

Gamersgate has the truly excellent 1701 A.D. Gold edition for 50% off (that's $15 in the US) this weekend if anyone's interested.

Oh, and Defense Grid: The Awakening is $5 on Steam, which is pretty damn tempting IMO.

FunkMonk

Quote from: vinraith on May 07, 2009, 11:26:05 AM
PSA:

Gamersgate has the truly excellent 1701 A.D. Gold edition for 50% off (that's $15 in the US) this weekend if anyone's interested.

How is this? I've been tempted to buy it on several occasions. $15 sounds reasonable.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

It's a fun city builder. Emphasis on build. You'll spend most of your time optimizing your logistics of delivering resources to manufacturers.

Combat is largely optional - you can run custom games without any fighting, or you can run a live and let die one (don't expect combat itself to be deep, though - build units, protect convoiys, attack enemies).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Seen

I found Anno 1701 great fun sandbox game. If I didn't already own it I would go for this deal. Especially since its the gold edition which will save you the crap of their lousy support.

vinraith

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 07, 2009, 11:55:45 AM
Quote from: vinraith on May 07, 2009, 11:26:05 AM
PSA:

How is this? I've been tempted to buy it on several occasions. $15 sounds reasonable.

I adore it. It's basically a colony simulator in roughly the same vein as the Impressions city building series or the like (Caesar 3 and so on) with supply lines and resources and whatnot. It has several additional kinks, though. First, it's island based, so you have to establish shipping lanes (and protect them) to supply your colony with the things it needs. There are AI opponents with whom you can cooperate or war to secure resources. There are natural disasters ala Sim City as well, though you can adjust or deactivate them if you like.

The game is remarkably customizable. In addition to two campaigns worth of scenarios, the real game is in the sandbox mode where you can set up a world to your liking and try to become a dominant economic force.

There's a demo out there if you want to give it a whirl for free, but if you're a fan of city builders it's a pretty safe bet you'd get $15 worth out of it.

Grey Fox

Anno 1701 is an excellent game.

I'll get the gold, been wanting to get the expension for a while now.

Gawd, I have way too many games.

I just bought Battle Forge!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

vinraith

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2009, 12:26:17 PM
Gawd, I have way too many games.

I know the feeling. All these good sales lately have left me with a giant (mostly digital) stack of games I got for $5 or $10 that I really need to get around to playing.