American Gun Ownership Highest In 18 Years

Started by jimmy olsen, October 27, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2017, 07:39:28 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 26, 2017, 11:22:19 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 26, 2017, 08:11:47 PM
I fucking giggle when I see a dude with a Hi Point pistol at the range.

I have never seen a Hi Point at my range.  It's usually someone shooting something way more expensive than what I have.

Whats a Hi Point?

Very inexpensive semi-auto pistols, made right here in good old Ohio.  Rather than using more complex locking mechanisms, all of their pistols are straight blowback designs.  So the slides are necessarily heavy, making the pistol rather off-balanced, clunky and ugly.  But supposedly they are reliable.  Unlike most modern pistols, you have to use tools to field strip it.

The company will only make signal stack magazines of 10 rounds or less for the pistols, to discourage their use as cheap pieces for gangbangers.

I will say I've been tempted from time to time to buy their 9mm carbine :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

I am not a gun person at all, of course.

But I read a review of that FN45 Tactical that someone mentioned, and that thing makes me want to become a gun person.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

You're not insecure enough about your own masculinity to need one of those clunky and expensive milspec toys, B.  Get yourself a nice, sexy Beretta Cougar.  Something that says, "Yes, I am comfortable with my penis size, thank you."

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 27, 2017, 08:47:09 AM
You're not insecure enough about your own masculinity to need one of those clunky and expensive milspec toys, B.  Get yourself a nice, sexy Beretta Cougar.  Something that says, "Yes, I am comfortable with my penis size, thank you."

Not this, then?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2017, 08:38:19 AM
I am not a gun person at all, of course.

But I read a review of that FN45 Tactical that someone mentioned, and that thing makes me want to become a gun person.

Try shooting one. I had little interest in trying it out, but the guy practically forced it on me. Then about three magazines later I felt like I was maybe wearing out my welcome.

Very smooth action. Does not feel like you are shooting .45 ACP.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 27, 2017, 08:47:09 AM

Beretta Storm. Dirt cheap. 17 round magazine. Bigger magazine=bigger erection
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

I've only really fired two handguns extensively.

The Model 1911 .45, and the Berretta 9F, both in the army of course.

I really don't care for the 9mm caliber.

On the other hand, I was a MUCH better shot with the 9F.

0 rows returned

derspiess

Terminal ballistics for a +P 9mm round are in the ballpark of .45 ACP.  Not every 9mm handgun will handle that load, mind you.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 30, 2017, 10:06:31 PM
Terminal ballistics for a +P 9mm round are in the ballpark of .45 ACP.  Not every 9mm handgun will handle that load, mind you.

English?

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2017, 11:07:47 PM

English?

If your objection to the 9mm round is that it's not powerful enough, there are 9mm rounds available that are much more powerful than the standard 9mm round-- some of them are roughly on par with the stopping power of a .45 ACP round.  This "hotter" load is too hot for some 9mm pistols, but others such as the Glock 17 or 19, will fire it without any issue.

Berkut

0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on April 27, 2017, 10:18:16 PM
I had little interest  . . . but the guy practically forced it on me . . . later I felt like I was maybe wearing out my welcome.

Very smooth action..

Hmm . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2017, 11:07:47 PM

English?

Just stick with the .45 ACP. As a bonus get in the GOVMIT model type pistol (M1911). You can also beat the shit gotta them with. All steel FTW
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".