Previous topic - Next topic

Do you own a tuxedo? (Males only)

Yes
7 (15.9%)
No
37 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Darth Wagtaros

I believe I shall wear a morning suit for my wedding. This and the other thread have inspired me.
PDH!

Tonitrus

The fanciest clothes I own is my service uniform.

Hell, I don't even own a non-uniform tie.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 23, 2011, 11:02:31 PM

Now that's just plain wrong.

I owns ties from New York, Scotland, Austria, Venice, and Nunavut. :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 23, 2011, 11:02:31 PM
The fanciest clothes I own is my service uniform.

Even a USAF uniform is better than Martinus' show-off suits.  Sure, it's not as honourable as a more respectable service, such as the Coast Guard, but it beats a Polish homo uniform.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Not needed in uber casual Seattle.  Barely see Suits at the Oper or Symphony. 
I don't go for dress-up nights on Cruises (room service danke) because I don't want to carry the extra luggage, and it's silly.

Apparently I do clean up well, as I wore a suit for last nights owner/board meeting and got compliments from every co-worker (we are buz casual, so I'm not seen in such dress.)  However I am much more comfy in a good shirt/slacks/blazer if I'm going above casual.  Ties make me uncomfortable, feel like I'm choking.

Ideologue

I don't think I'll ever have to go to an opera.

P.S. Gotterdammerung sucks.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

The typical American male today, even those among those who are financially well-off, or even wealthy, only wears formal wear a very few times in their lives:  to their high school prom, to their wedding, to their best friend's wedding, to the weddings of any siblings they have, and to their children's weddings.  That's it.  Given typical family size, that's only 3-7 times in a lifetime.  Renting every time would come up to less money than the cost to buy once.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on September 24, 2011, 12:59:19 AM
The typical American male today, even those among those who are financially well-off, or even wealthy, only wears formal wear a very few times in their lives:  to their high school prom, to their wedding, to their best friend's wedding, to the weddings of any siblings they have, and to their children's weddings.  That's it.  Given typical family size, that's only 3-7 times in a lifetime.  Renting every time would come up to less money than the cost to buy once.

Yeah, not to mention the fact that you might not fit in the tux after the last time you wore it seven years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Warspite

I'm wearing black tie tonight. :yeah:

But I have to get to this party from the Arsenal game. :hmm:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

DontSayBanana

I don't really bother too much.  I've got a sub-$100 emergency suit that I kept as an emergency courthouse suit (the lawtalkers should know what I'm talking about there), a more expensive one for when I get asked in advanced to dress up, and I rarely wear either.  Suits and tuxes just look awkward on me.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on September 24, 2011, 12:59:19 AM

List sounds about right.  I've worn a tux twice, one wedding and one college formal.  And the dorky morning coat once.

Ideologue

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 24, 2011, 06:42:22 AM
I don't really bother too much.  I've got a sub-$100 emergency suit that I kept as an emergency courthouse suit (the lawtalkers should know what I'm talking about there), a more expensive one for when I get asked in advanced to dress up, and I rarely wear either.  Suits and tuxes just look awkward on me.

I look Goddamned fine in a suit.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valdemar

Quote from: Habsburg on September 23, 2011, 11:14:02 PM
Not needed in uber casual Seattle.  Barely see Suits at the Oper or Symphony. 
I don't go for dress-up nights on Cruises (room service danke) because I don't want to carry the extra luggage, and it's silly.

Apparently I do clean up well, as I wore a suit for last nights owner/board meeting and got compliments from every co-worker (we are buz casual, so I'm not seen in such dress.)  However I am much more comfy in a good shirt/slacks/blazer if I'm going above casual.  Ties make me uncomfortable, feel like I'm choking.

Dont tie them that tight then  :P

I'm with Warspite on this, done right a black tie formal is great fun, getting ready sets the mood, the women look fine, and a good fitting dinner jacket can make most ppl look elegant, whether its M&S or Saville Row. As long as it fits....

V

Tamas

Quote from: Warspite on September 24, 2011, 04:12:03 AM
I'm wearing black tie tonight. :yeah:

But I have to get to this party from the Arsenal game. :hmm:

No worries, Arsenal is about to have it's funeral anyway :P

Monoriu

No.  I have never been to any occasion where this is needed.  If there is a need, I intend to rent, too.