Do you own a tuxedo? (Males only)

Yes
7 (15.9%)
No
37 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 08:09:08 AM
I hate that in Poland at least (and Tamas's attitude seems to show this is also the case in other CEE countries) there is a general tendency for people not to want to dress up to events. I think it is because our elites have been systematically destroyed by communists, so modern elites have mainly plebeian roots.

As far as I am concerned, it is awesome to be able to go to a black tie occassion - it is as you say, an event in itself,and certainly one more memorable. But for example, when last year my firm organized a black tie Christmas dinner, people complained that they do not want to dress up like that next time.

Or maybe it is simply because it is stuffy as hell and most people just don't like/feel comfortable wearing that kind of clothes. If you want to dress up, go to a carnival.

Ed Anger

Somebody is acting like a Homo Novus.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Speaking of which, I need morning suit done. I'm testing these Indian bespoke tailors right now - I think they are based in Budapest and visited me in Warsaw recently, and took my measure. I will see how good is the stuff they make (I ordered an ordinary suit with two pairs of trousers) and if it is fine, I am going to use them more.

They are quite cheap (slightly over $1000 for a suit) and you pay at delivery so not risking anything.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 08:18:26 AMThey are quite cheap (slightly over $1000 for a suit) and you pay at delivery so not risking anything.

Now you're just showing off.

C.C.R.

I can't remember wearing a tie yet this year, let alone ponying up to buy a tux...

:P

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2011, 08:25:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 08:18:26 AMThey are quite cheap (slightly over $1000 for a suit) and you pay at delivery so not risking anything.

Not really. $1000 for a tailor-made suit is cheap, even by Polish standards. Most suits that you buy off a shelf here (and I am talking middle price level stuff, like Pierre Cardin or Oscar Jacobson, nothing overly fancy) is around $500-800.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 08:27:08 AM

Not really. $1000 for a tailor-made suit is cheap, even by Polish standards. Most suits that you buy off a shelf here (and I am talking middle price level stuff, like Pierre Cardin or Oscar Jacobson, nothing overly fancy) is around $500-800.

Maybe in Poland it is ok, but for me dropping so casually a 4 digit buy for something as trivial as a suit and calling it quite cheap stinks of wanting to show off.

Martinus

For me it is "work equipment" - as all Languish knows, I'm a shitty lawyer, so I need to look good in order to be able to convince clients they should pay 430 euro for an hour of my work. :P

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 08:36:17 AM
For me it is "work equipment" - as all Languish knows, I'm a shitty lawyer, so I need to look good in order to be able to convince clients they should pay 430 euro for an hour of my work. :P

But are you talking about a business suit or about a formal suit for posh events?

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2011, 08:34:11 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 08:27:08 AM

Maybe in Poland it is ok, but for me dropping so casually a 4 digit buy for something as trivial as a suit and calling it quite cheap stinks of wanting to show off.

When I bought a Armani suit (see, I can show off too) it was for the times I needed to brown nose and flash my plumage at work. Now it sits all alone in the closet, never seeing the sun again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2011, 08:37:52 AM

But are you talking about a business suit or about a formal suit for posh events?

Business suit. But with two pairs of trousers.

Neil

No shit.

That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
No shit.

That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Unlike you, I didn't get my job by marrying my boss's daughter. I am not a gigolo - thus infinitely better than you.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 08:39:49 AM

Then I can understand the need for it, as opposed to an stuffy formal suit only worn at events, but displaying the price tag so openly still seems tacky to me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2011, 08:44:58 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 08:39:49 AM

Then I can understand the need for it, as opposed to an stuffy formal suit only worn at events, but displaying the price tag so openly still seems tacky to me.

I was just sharing in case someone wanted their contact details (they can travel to a client in the EU). Besides, if Languish was a place of gentlemanly conversation, noone has told me. I've been called a subhuman faggot within the last 10 minutes.