Yes
7 (15.9%)
No
37 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Tamas

Who the hell would wear that tuxedo-tie anyway? Srsly wtf

Valdemar

Its a black bow tie. No harder to tie than an ordinary tie once you know how ;)

You DO know how to tie a tie right? And shoe laces? ;)

V

The Larch

Quote from: Valdemar on September 23, 2011, 07:49:56 AM
Indeed :)

But I look devilishy well in formal attires. My black tie is with a vest, all black silk with midnight blue inner, black pearl studdings, cuff links, self tied tie (not strapped ons ;)), and ofc. a real watch, gold chain and all :D

V

And then you step into a time machine and go to a manor house in the English countryside as if you were in a Merchant-Ivory period piece, right?  :P

Tamas

Quote from: Valdemar on September 23, 2011, 07:53:56 AM

V

Bow ties look downright ridicoulous, that's the problem, not tying them :P

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2011, 07:32:17 AM
Quote from: Warspite on September 23, 2011, 07:17:42 AM
I've noticed the UK is a lot more conservative about formal and semi-formal wear than the US, though. Some of what passes for black tie in the states is outright hideous. And then the continental Euros do ghastly things like have morning weddings in black tie (which is supposed to be worn only after 6pm).

Oh yes. I can't even recognize half the terms you people are using. What's the difference between black tie, white tie, lounge, tuxedo and so on and so forth? You should see how some of my friends dressed for the wedding I attended in July, it was already a big push to make them wear a normal suit, and some of them couldn't even be arsed and got done with a formal-ish shirt..

There is a picture of me wearing black tie on my Facebook page.

Brazen

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2011, 07:58:56 AM

V

Bow ties look downright ridicoulous, that's the problem, not tying them :P

Yeah. On the other hand, a dark blue adidas sports hoodie with white stripes, and a pair of worn out jeans look just swell.

Fucking plebe.

Martinus

V

I think tied black bow ties have a tendency to look awful unless you are a master. I prefer strap ons anyway.

Valdemar

Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2011, 07:54:30 AM
Indeed :)

But I look devilishy well in formal attires. My black tie is with a vest, all black silk with midnight blue inner, black pearl studdings, cuff links, self tied tie (not strapped ons ;)), and ofc. a real watch, gold chain and all :D

V

And then you step into a time machine and go to a manor house in the English countryside as if you were in a Merchant-Ivory period piece, right?  :P

I wish :D

But the black tie is modern cut, more 007 than sherlock holmes  :bowler:

It is fun though to go to parties in black tie, when ppl have to dress up, not down, they tend to be more ready to enjoy a party, the expectations seems higher and thus the party overall tends to get successful

V

Valdemar

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 08:03:16 AM
not strapped ons
I always avoid a guy with a strap-on.

I wondered how long it took for anyone to jump on that one ;)

V

The Larch

Martinus

I hate that in Poland at least (and Tamas's attitude seems to show this is also the case in other CEE countries) there is a general tendency for people not to want to dress up to events. I think it is because our elites have been systematically destroyed by communists, so modern elites have mainly plebeian roots.

As far as I am concerned, it is awesome to be able to go to a black tie occassion - it is as you say, an event in itself,and certainly one more memorable. But for example, when last year my firm organized a black tie Christmas dinner, people complained that they do not want to dress up like that next time.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 08:04:51 AM

V

I think tied black bow ties have a tendency to look awful unless you are a master. I prefer strap ons anyway.

:lol: That's soooo... nouve rich. You strap on a fake bow tie and boom, insta sophisticatedness!
Jeebus

I don't mind formal dressing to an extent - you showcase a level of respect for the occassion which can be important. But there is a thing as bringing it too far and becoming the mockery of yourself and the event. Like bow ties and tuxedos in this day and age.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 08:09:08 AM
I hate that in Poland at least (and Tamas's attitude seems to show this is also the case in other CEE countries) there is a general tendency for people not to want to dress up to events. I think it is because our elites have been systematically destroyed by communists, so modern elites have mainly plebeian roots.

As far as I am concerned, it is awesome to be able to go to a black tie occassion - it is as you say, an event in itself,and certainly one more memorable. But for example, when last year my firm organized a black tie Christmas dinner, people complained that they do not want to dress up like that next time.

I thought The Larch is Spanish