Previous topic - Next topic

Do you own a tuxedo? (Males only)

Yes
7 (15.9%)
No
37 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Martinus

Just curious how many people here have their own tuxedo. I'm surprised so many people whom I considered to be well-off are saying they rent them.

Caliga

:hmm: No, why would it make sense for most people to own them, even if they can afford to?  It's not often that you need to wear one.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

How can you wear anything else for a premiere night at the opera or a black tie dinner? These happen at least 5-6 times a year.

Not to mention wearing other people's clothes is gross.

Caliga

Wait, this is a "Mart is richer and better than everyone else thread", isn't it? :)

FWIW I do go to things like the opera, and people hear wear suits, not tuxes.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I've heard the rule of thumb is, if you're going to wear it at least twice a year, buy.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2011, 05:21:43 AM
Wait, this is a "Mart is richer and better than everyone else thread", isn't it? :)

Spot on.  :bowler:

"Anything you can do I can do better."  :whistle:

Brazen

In the UK, even average-salaried men get a couple of opportunities a year to tux up. I believe on the third hire it becomes more affordable to buy. Most places do a "You rented it, you can buy it at a discount" scheme that several of my friends have taken up.

Of course in 20 years you will own the equivalent of your dad's tux - two sizes too small with a giant collar and accompanied by a heavily-ruffled shirt and a vampire bat sized bow tie.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Darth Wagtaros

There are cheap ones. I have such.  It is like wearing a burlap sack.
PDH!

Valdemar

I have Tux, and white tie suit.

But frankly, now we are past all the weddings and stuff I use them rarely. no one holds black tie dinners anymore :(

And as caliga said, suits and tie are the norm at most functions

V

Brazen

Quote from: Valdemar on September 23, 2011, 05:42:32 AM
white tie suit.
See Mart, THAT's class.

I've only been to a white tie reception once, and that was a dinner in Helsinki attended by the President of Finland. As you do.

Grey Fox

Nope. I've actually never wore one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valdemar

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 05:47:43 AM
white tie suit.
See Mart, THAT's class.

I've only been to a white tie reception once, and that was a dinner in Helsinki attended by the President of Finland. As you do.

Hehe :) I was actually going to reply I have a dinner/black tie jacket/suit (as in the correct form, not the americanised "tux") ;)

What do you call the white tie thing? Is it white tie suit? or just white tie? Or is it "tails"? :p

Over here white tie is the correct wedding suit, a bit like morning suit is in England :) And as such ppl tend to invite to a few white tie dinners in the years to come to get a chance to use them. It has the added benefit that when ppl have to dress up the party seems to be more fun. And women in gowns that match white tie or even black tie tend to look alot hotter than when they dress to match a business suit and tie :)

V

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 05:47:43 AM
white tie suit.
See Mart, THAT's class.

Well I will buy one if I ever need to wear it - in Poland it is very rarely used (I think I saw maybe one or two people wearing white tie suit at the opera, complete with court shoes, but they looked a bit out of place).

Brazen

Quote from: Valdemar on September 23, 2011, 06:02:50 AM
What do you call the white tie thing? Is it white tie suit? or just white tie? Or is it "tails"? :p
Invites usually just say white tie. At these events women are expected to wear floor-length gowns, which I doubt applies to weddings.

I love men in white tie. It makes me want to call them "ambassador" :P