Previous topic - Next topic

Do you own a tuxedo? (Males only)

Yes
7 (15.9%)
No
37 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

CountDeMoney

When Ray Lewis comes out with a tuxedo line, then I'll buy one.  Until then, no need for one.

I did, however, get a RL Snuggie.   Shit is dope on game day.

Valdemar

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 06:08:18 AM
Quote from: Valdemar on September 23, 2011, 06:02:50 AM
What do you call the white tie thing? Is it white tie suit? or just white tie? Or is it "tails"? :p
Invites usually just say white tie. At these events women are expected to wear floor-length gowns, which I doubt applies to weddings.

I love men in white tie. It makes me want to call them "ambassador" :P

Oh yes, they should and do wear long dresses at weddings. Only rule is not to wear white, not to wear black, and NEVER to out shine the bride ;)

V

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 06:08:18 AM
I love men in white tie. It makes me want to call them "ambassador" :P

That's one of the differences between Europe and the US.
Here, men in white ties are either called Colonel, Vinne the Nose or Mr. Wolfe.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Nope, nor do I see any reason at all to own one, or a white tie suit. Shit, I had a wedding this summer and didn't even wear a tie for it.

Warspite

I have semi-formal eveningwear (black tie). I also have black lounge (daytime semi-formal).

I wouldn't buy formal eveningwear (white tie) unless I entered the diplomatic corps.

I've noticed the UK is a lot more conservative about formal and semi-formal wear than the US, though. Some of what passes for black tie in the states is outright hideous. And then the continental Euros do ghastly things like have morning weddings in black tie (which is supposed to be worn only after 6pm).
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Warspite

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 05:31:49 AMOf course in 20 years you will own the equivalent of your dad's tux - two sizes too small with a giant collar and accompanied by a heavily-ruffled shirt and a vampire bat sized bow tie.

Not if you stick to the classic design, which hasn't really changed much since the 1930s.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valdemar

Quote from: Warspite on September 23, 2011, 07:17:42 AM
And then the continental Euros do ghastly things like have morning weddings in black tie (which is supposed to be worn only after 6pm).

Hideous.

As I said, white tie for weddings. Suits if need be. Only use the black tie to the evening dinner, not in church. Even if it means everybody needs to change :)

V

The Larch

I've noticed the UK is a lot more conservative about formal and semi-formal wear than the US, though. Some of what passes for black tie in the states is outright hideous. And then the continental Euros do ghastly things like have morning weddings in black tie (which is supposed to be worn only after 6pm).

Oh yes. I can't even recognize half the terms you people are using. What's the difference between black tie, white tie, lounge, tuxedo and so on and so forth? You should see how some of my friends dressed for the wedding I attended in July, it was already a big push to make them wear a normal suit, and some of them couldn't even be arsed and got done with a formal-ish shirt..

PDH

I've noticed the UK is a lot more conservative about formal and semi-formal wear than the US, though. Some of what passes for black tie in the states is outright hideous.

Well, classic black tie looks out of place at that Walmart wedding.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on September 23, 2011, 07:32:17 AM

Oh yes. I can't even recognize half the terms you people are using. What's the difference between black tie, white tie, lounge, tuxedo and so on and so forth? You should see how some of my friends dressed for the wedding I attended in July, it was already a big push to make them wear a normal suit, and some of them couldn't even be arsed and got done with a formal-ish shirt..

"black tie, white tie" and stuff like that is just pretentious BS :P

Valdemar

White tie

Black tie aka Tux

Morning suit

V

The Larch

Ok, so it's just several different flavours of stuffiness then.  :lol:

For the record, the "morning suit" was what the groom wore (with a shorter jacket, IIRC) at the wedding I went, and he was by far the most formal one. I guess we were all a bunch of sloppy hobos by some of the standards shown over here.  :P

Valdemar

Indeed :)

But I look devilishy well in formal attires. My black tie is with a vest, all black silk with midnight blue inner, black pearl studdings, cuff links, self tied tie (not strapped ons ;)), and ofc. a real watch, gold chain and all :D

V