News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Path of Exile - upcoming F2P Daiablo clone

Started by Syt, September 08, 2011, 12:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on November 13, 2018, 09:33:29 AM
For now I rely on zombies (can summon 6 of them) and just supplement with skellies when facing tough stacks. I'm going for the minion-focused passive "clusters" and pretty much eschewing any personal boosts besides the ones you pick along the way (mostly +10 to INT and such). Works so far, but I'm only on act 2. My idea is to make a character that never attacks herself, only summoning and eventually casting support spells for my crew.

I also got a Phantasm support gem so now my minions also summon minions.  :lol:

When the game first came out it drew my attention but for whatever reason I never stuck with it. The gem mechanics are fun and it looks like they added lots of stuff.

Make sure you pick up life nodes along the way, your biggest challenge is surviving burst damage when it comes.

Also, what are you using for your attack?  two good options are SRS and the new buff to minions on your attack - Cant remember what that gem is called though - holy relic or something like that.  With that skill and a siphon attack to keep the buff up, my minions never died (used zombies and spectres).  I breezed through the content with that build.

There are lots of variations.

frunk

Latest expansion, Betrayal

Some sort of Syndicate that you are investigating.
Veiled Items, with selectable mods that you can add to crafting.
Completely revamped mastercrafting and hideouts.
Delve, Incursion and Bestiary added to base game (Bestiary heavily revamped).
New maps, new skills with new mechanisms (including impaling, branding and banners).

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 13, 2018, 11:26:39 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 13, 2018, 09:33:29 AM
For now I rely on zombies (can summon 6 of them) and just supplement with skellies when facing tough stacks. I'm going for the minion-focused passive "clusters" and pretty much eschewing any personal boosts besides the ones you pick along the way (mostly +10 to INT and such). Works so far, but I'm only on act 2. My idea is to make a character that never attacks herself, only summoning and eventually casting support spells for my crew.

I also got a Phantasm support gem so now my minions also summon minions.  :lol:

When the game first came out it drew my attention but for whatever reason I never stuck with it. The gem mechanics are fun and it looks like they added lots of stuff.

Make sure you pick up life nodes along the way, your biggest challenge is surviving burst damage when it comes.

Also, what are you using for your attack?  two good options are SRS and the new buff to minions on your attack - Cant remember what that gem is called though - holy relic or something like that.  With that skill and a siphon attack to keep the buff up, my minions never died (used zombies and spectres).  I breezed through the content with that build.

There are lots of variations.

Well, for now I'm using good ole' fireball (I rarely use it though, unless something breaks through the line). I haven't picked up anything interesting besides run of the mill elemental targeted attacks/AoE.

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on November 13, 2018, 03:31:05 PM
Well, for now I'm using good ole' fireball (I rarely use it though, unless something breaks through the line). I haven't picked up anything interesting besides run of the mill elemental targeted attacks/AoE.

In each town are vendors that sell skill gems (Act 1 Nessa, Act 2 Yeena and so on).  They are customized to your class until the Act 6 vendor who sells all available skill gems regardless of class.

There's also an earlier global Vendor in a side area, but they aren't in a town.

celedhring

Thanks I admit I hadn't bothered to check the vendors. Bought the Raging Spirit Spell and the Holy Relic one. Will play around with them.

Syt

Aren't some skill gems only available as drops (I don't mean Vaal gems)? Or am I imagining that?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

Quote from: Syt on November 13, 2018, 05:25:44 PM
Aren't some skill gems only available as drops (I don't mean Vaal gems)? Or am I imagining that?

There are, but not that many.  Off the top of my head Added Chaos, Portal, Detonate Mine.  Checking, I forgot Empower, Enhance and Enlighten.

Syt

Big update incoming:

https://pathofexile.com/betrayal

The Betrayal stuff looks ok, but changing the masters will be a huge. Delves, overhauled Bestiary, and Incursions (previous league) will be core parts of the game.

I was kind of expecting that they keep Delve (because it's additional end game content with huge longevity), but surprised to see other league mechanics back. That said, I didn't have a good char for quickly clearing incursions, so I look forward to doing those.

Not overly hyped about the Betrayal stuff.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on November 13, 2018, 03:44:19 PM
Thanks I admit I hadn't bothered to check the vendors. Bought the Raging Spirit Spell and the Holy Relic one. Will play around with them.

Just keep in mind that srs does not proc holy relic, you need to attack rather than cast a spell - that is why I used siphon  :)

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 13, 2018, 06:31:33 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 13, 2018, 03:44:19 PM

Just keep in mind that srs does not proc holy relic, you need to attack rather than cast a spell - that is why I used siphon  :)

Yeah I noticed that, using an ice nova since I'm too lazy to target.  :blush:

crazy canuck

Siphon is like multi shot. You point it in the general direction of the mobs and you are bound to hit a few.  You just need to hit to proc, so it works well.  I don't like Ice nova because it is too mana intensive and you have to stand too close to the mobs.

celedhring

Will try it then.

So, I've reached the bandits quest. The one where you can either help one of the bandits and kill the others for some permanent boosts, or just kill them all for 2 passive points.

The only one that looks interesting to me is the bandit that grants you +15% to all resists and 5 mana regen per second (also crit but I don't have much use for that). I don't know how that compares with 2 points value-wise, though. Any pointers?

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on November 14, 2018, 05:07:17 AM
Will try it then.

So, I've reached the bandits quest. The one where you can either help one of the bandits and kill the others for some permanent boosts, or just kill them all for 2 passive points.

The only one that looks interesting to me is the bandit that grants you +15% to all resists and 5 mana regen per second (also crit but I don't have much use for that). I don't know how that compares with 2 points value-wise, though. Any pointers?

I almost always take 2 passives.

crazy canuck

Yes, and with a minion build take the two passives

celedhring

Thanks for the advice, will go with the 2 passives then.