News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Path of Exile - upcoming F2P Daiablo clone

Started by Syt, September 08, 2011, 12:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Hey frunk, how's this new league going for you? It ate all most of my free time this weekend. Two days in and I think Incursion is easily better than Bestiary by a country mile.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

frunk

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 03, 2018, 11:13:32 PM
Hey frunk, how's this new league going for you? It ate all most of my free time this weekend. Two days in and I think Incursion is easily better than Bestiary by a country mile.

Ohhhh yeah.  I was going to post this earlier, but I was busy playing.  I think this might be one of the best leagues ever, with great balance changes and the Incursion mechanic being a hell of a lot of fun.  Just stay away from halls of restoration. :D

crazy canuck

I played for about an hour on the weekend.  It is indeed much more fun.  Problem is they should have released this in the winter when it made more sense to stay indoors and stare at a screen.

Berkut

I've played quite a bit in the past, and still dont really understand the concept of a "League"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2018, 02:55:51 PM
I've played quite a bit in the past, and still dont really understand the concept of a "League"

You have the option of playing on the regular hardcore and nonhardcore version which never ends, or you can play in a league which has a certain duration.  Each league has special rules which adds a lot of variation and new items which are only available in league play.  After the league ends all the characters you played in that league and all the items you obtained get ported over the the regular version of the game.  The regular version is also updated from time to time with aspects of league play that was popular with the players.

I can't remember the last time I bothered with the regular version. 

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2018, 02:55:51 PM

There are 3-4 leagues each year.  A league involves changes to the game as well as a specific "league mechanic" which may or may not be included in the game going forward.

For instance in the Incursion league it revamped the way vaal skills worked, added new skill gems and new vaal skills, added additional affixes to items as well as new Labyrinth enchantments.  These changes will stay past the end of the league.  The "league mechanic" for Incursion is a Temple of Atzoatl that you can explore and shape.  The Temple may or may not be included in future versions of the game, generally in a more limited form.

In addition before the league starts all previous league characters/stashes are swept into standard or standard HC.  4 new leagues are created (in this case Incursion, Incursion SSF, Incursion HC, Incursion HC SSF) with everybody starting from scratch.  If you want you can still play your old characters in standard (and they usually get a free skill reset), but the "league mechanic" won't be there.

frunk

There's more detail here, and it goes into some of the shorter lived leagues.  I was talking about Challenge Leagues in the above post.

crazy canuck

Frunk, have you ever tried one of the short leagues?  They seem like a real time sink requiring a lot of time over a short period.

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2018, 04:59:14 PM
Frunk, have you ever tried one of the short leagues?  They seem like a real time sink requiring a lot of time over a short period.

I've done some of the 1-2 hour races, but never the 1-2 week events.

Berkut

SO each league, everyone is starting over fresh?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

Quote from: Berkut on June 05, 2018, 11:07:44 PM
SO each league, everyone is starting over fresh?

Essentially, yes. It's like a ladder reset except the main game mode changes every 3 months or so. It keeps the game fresh and interesting so older players come back, as well as attracting new players who can start from zero just like everyone else does.

I'm really in love with the Vaal skills now. I'm playing my own build as a Chieftain firequake (full fire conversion). With Vaal Earthquake I just hit a button and shield charge around and everything explodes.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

frunk

I've been doing a wand attack build for the first time, a Power Siphon Deadeye.  The powered up Vaal skill is very nice as well.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on June 06, 2018, 05:47:58 AM
I've been doing a wand attack build for the first time, a Power Siphon Deadeye.  The powered up Vaal skill is very nice as well.

I have wanted to try that

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 07, 2018, 10:29:20 AM
I have wanted to try that

Area damage is excellent, single target isn't.  It's ok when leveling, but once you get towards endgame it starts lagging pretty badly.  I've been relying on other Vaal skills and traps to help with that, but I'm hoping I can get a 5/6 link (or higher damage wands) soon and run Cast on Crit/Discharge to provide that single target boost.

Iormlund

After reading you guys I created a SRS necro (SSF so far).

It started relatively slow, but since I got my ascendancy I feel like I'm destroying everything without even trying. The zombies by themselves can take care of all the trash.

Already have all the minion nodes, but only shitty 4-link gear. I got a nice legendary 2 H hammer with several minion buffs, including +1 lvl to gems for minion and melee skills. Just a couple gem slots though. I'm going to need a crapload of Jeweller's Orbs to at least 5-L this. :cry: