News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CFL Thread

Started by Barrister, August 06, 2011, 02:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Johnny Manziel's contract with the Montreal Alouettes has been terminated for violating an unpublicized agreement he had with the league.  CFL advises they will not register a contract with Manziel by any other Canadian team.

Holy shit, what a hot mess this guy is.  He wasn't even any good for the Als in the games he played in.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-directs-alouettes-to-terminate-johnny-manziel-s-contract-1.5035959?cmp=rss
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

I haven't seen much of him, I haven't had time to watch much sport in the last 2 years, but what I saw didn't impress me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 01, 2019, 02:59:04 PM
I haven't seen much of him, I haven't had time to watch much sport in the last 2 years, but what I saw didn't impress me.

So Hamilton originally signed him, but didn't even play him because their existing QB was playing well.

Montreal was floundering, so they made this massive trade for Manziel which puzzled everyone because he hadn't played pro football in a couple of years.  Then yes his play with the Als was very mediocre.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 01, 2019, 03:26:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 01, 2019, 02:59:04 PM

So Hamilton originally signed him, but didn't even play him because their existing QB was playing well.

Montreal was floundering, so they made this massive trade for Manziel which puzzled everyone because he hadn't played pro football in a couple of years.  Then yes his play with the Als was very mediocre.
Ah, now I remember the trade.

A tad more info on his issues with the CFL:
https://3downnation.com/2019/02/28/johnny-manziel-skipped-meetings-required-by-the-cfl-sources/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Blue Bombers in the Grey Cup!!!

They beat the 'Riders!  Suck it Neil!!!111

Barrister

Bombers Win!!!!

First time since 1990!!!!

Valmy

Congrats to Winnipeg!  :hug:

And fellow Texas alumni Jackson Jeffcoat :punk:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2019, 12:12:03 AM

Not the association I would have made, but glad you actually were paying some small level of attention to this game V.

This win makes me happy tonight. It's not quite the KC Royals winning after 30 years, but it's a pretty damn good night. :)

Barrister

For all the hate social media gets, my Facebook feed which is choc-full of Winnipeggers and Manitobans, is an absolute delight to read through tonight.  :cool:

#FortheW

Barrister

Grey Cup Parade down at Portage and Main today!

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 25, 2019, 12:20:27 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2019, 12:12:03 AM

Not the association I would have made, but glad you actually were paying some small level of attention to this game V.

This win makes me happy tonight. It's not quite the KC Royals winning after 30 years, but it's a pretty damn good night. :)

I mean I am not sure where I would even watch the CFL if I wanted to :P

But I usually am a least peripherally aware what is going on and certainly if a UT alumni is involved. Though, come to think of it, I am not sure Jeffcoat ever graduated :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 26, 2019, 04:33:34 PM
I mean I am not sure where I would even watch the CFL if I wanted to :P

But I usually am a least peripherally aware what is going on and certainly if a UT alumni is involved. Though, come to think of it, I am not sure Jeffcoat ever graduated :P

Grey Cup was on one of the ESPN channels.

https://www.cfl.ca/watch-2019-cfl-broadcast-schedule/#ESPN

Barrister

So they're actually talking about doing a CFL bubble season, with all the teams in one location.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/premier-pallister-cathy-cox-event-attraction-1.5656014?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

So first of all, why are they only talking about doing this now?  If serious, they should have been doing this months ago.

But more than that - I can't quite see how this would work out.  It's an incredibly gate-dependent league.  The TV contract is apparently worth about $50 million (less for a partial season), and the league would still lose even more money than it normally does.

Plus, you're talking about bringing up 50+ times nine players, almost all from the US with rampaging Covid cases.  I don't see how you get all those players into the bubble safely to begin with.

Grey Fox

I think it leaked just now because they have come to terms with the fact that the Federal government isn't going to give them the hundreds of millions they wanted to be able to cancel the 2020 season.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

So, the Edmonton CFL Team is looking for a new name.  They've been called the Eskimos for decades upon decades.  Even though they use absolutely zero Inuit/Eskimo imagery the name has been controversial enough they're looking for a new one.

Now since the team logo is a Double E, they're pretty much only looking at names starting with an E.

Apparently the top 10 fan suggestions are:

1. Eagles.

2. Energy.

3. Elk or Elks.

4. Elite.

5. Empire.

6. Edge.

7. Express.

8. Extreme.

9. Explorers.

10. Evolution.

But one name has been gathering a little momentum.  Could you see the fans cheering for... the Edmonton Escargots?  Of course the main advantage is it has the same rhyme and meter as "Eskimos" does, so things like the team nickname "Esks / Escs" or team song

"We're cheering 'Fight, fight, fight on, Escargots.'

"We're marching right, right, right on Escargots.

Would remain the same.  But it would also have the advantage of being unique (unlike all those names listed above).

Thoughts?