News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

And I assume the first player with the surname Braithwaite to ever play for Barcelona :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

20 minutes and 1½ assists in his first game. :w00t:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on February 22, 2020, 11:59:58 AM
20 minutes and 1½ assists in his first game. :w00t:

It's not as if the competition was fierce, though.  :P

This signed has caused a small controversy in Spain, btw, because Leganés are now unable to sign a replacement for him and now will almost surely get relegated.

Admiral Yi

Do you guys think those penalty kicks where the kicker takes a bunch of stutter steps and baits the goalie to commit before striking are in keeping with the spirit of the game?  Should that be against the rules?

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2020, 07:07:59 PM
Do you guys think those penalty kicks where the kicker takes a bunch of stutter steps and baits the goalie to commit before striking are in keeping with the spirit of the game?  Should that be against the rules?

Yes. No.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Montreal Vs. New England MLS game. Local fans attack their opponents'... maple syrup quality.

Syt

German football league finally set a sign against hate in stadiums, threatening to break off a running match.

The target of scorn? The billionaire owner of TSG Hoffenheim.

While I agree with the step, I wish they had done the same with the countless racist incidents against players of color or foreigners.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Using the regulations about racism reeks of cynicism though, not to mention creating a precedent.
Of course, the protest was not really subtle "Hurensohn" i.e son of a bitch/whore (choose your favorite).
Opposition to artificial clubs such TSG Hoffenhein, circumventing 50+1 rules (preventing takeovers à la City or PSG) is fine but such a cause demands more skill.

Big news in Portugal, after the racist insults in Guimarães at Marega, was the dramatic debacle of Portuguese clubs in the Europa League in the round of 32 (!). 4 had some varying chances, none after the second leg. While Porto is having the worst European season I can remember and lost not so unsurprisingly against a good Bayer Leverkusen side, from a better league, the others like Sporting mostly (losing in OT after winning 3-1 in Lisbon) is more of a surprise against Erdogan's club. Braga, after a brilliant play-off and group phase, lost twice to Glasgow Rangers, and Benfica, out of the Champions' League, tied after leading against Shakhtar Donets.
That competion was the last won by Portuguese clubs in 2011, when the final pitched Porto vs Braga, the latter beating Benfica in semi-finals, to give some context. Tempus Fugit.

The Larch

Similar in Spain, where sanctions have only been imposed when a player was being called a nazi.

Maladict

Nations League draw:

League A

Group 1: Netherlands; Italy; Bosnia and Herzegovina; Poland
    Group 2: England; Belgium; Denmark; Iceland
    Group 3: Portugal; France; Sweden; Croatia
    Group 4: Switzerland; Spain; Ukraine; Germany

League B

Group 1: Austria; Norway; Northern Ireland; Romania
    Group 2: Czech Republic; Scotland; Slovakia; Israel
    Group 3: Russia; Serbia; Turkey; Hungary
    Group 4: Wales; Finland; Ireland; Bulgaria

League C

Group 1: Montenegro; Cyprus; Luxembourg; Azerbaijan
    Group 2: Georgia; North Macedonia; Estonia; Armenia
    Group 3: Greece; Kosovo; Slovenia; Moldova
    Group 4: Albania; Belarus; Lithuania; Kazakhstan

League D

Group 1: Faroe Islands; Latvia; Andorra; Malta
    Group 2: Gibraltar; Liechtenstein; San Marino

Liep

Will Liverpool win another game this season?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

I think this means they don't win the league at Goodison - thank Christ :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

It's too bad they're so far ahead already. The regularly scheduled Liverpool bust would have made the league much more interesting at this point in the season.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 02, 2020, 06:40:19 AM
Using the regulations about racism reeks of cynicism though, not to mention creating a precedent.
Of course, the protest was not really subtle "Hurensohn" i.e son of a bitch/whore (choose your favorite).
Opposition to artificial clubs such TSG Hoffenhein, circumventing 50+1 rules (preventing takeovers à la City or PSG) is fine but such a cause demands more skill.

Speaking of artificial clubs in Germany, another RB Leipzig prowess :
expelling Japanese (!) spectators from their stadium due to coronavirus fears.

As for the League of Nations draw, UEFA reformed the competition to prevent Germany from falling into League B. Still interesting  though, with oppositions such as Netherlands-Italy, Belgium-England, Portugal-France and Spain-Germany in League A, plus outsiders wanting to cause a surprise.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011