News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

And apparently Niko Kovac was at the game sat in the director's box  :hmm:

QuoteYes, well done. Nice to see Chelsea drop a little further off of the leading group, and I really don't want to see Everton relegated.
It was also just nice to see an "Everton" performance which has been a long time coming. Plus I felt quite emotional seeing Ferguson running up and down the touchline :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 07, 2019, 10:48:39 AM
Plus I felt quite emotional seeing Ferguson running up and down the touchline :blush:

He has one of those English dialects that is almost impossible to understand. It sounds lovely.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on December 07, 2019, 02:46:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 07, 2019, 10:48:39 AM
Plus I felt quite emotional seeing Ferguson running up and down the touchline :blush:

He has one of those English dialects that is almost impossible to understand. It sounds lovely.
The dulcet tones of Stirling :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Barca is playing on another level tonight. That one-two ending in a heel goal by Suarez. :o

Liep

Salzburg is playing great football. I don't think they have any Austrians on the field.

Liep

Quote from: Liep on December 10, 2019, 02:06:36 PM
Salzburg is playing great football. I don't think they have any Austrians on the field.

Jinxed :(

Sheilbh

Yanks! A query.

With Guardiola's time at City (maybe) coming to an end this season, and Pochettino getting fired from Spurs there's been a lot of talk in England about the time limit on managers.

Basically that after 4-5 years they stop having the same effect on a group of players, it runs out, things get stale and either you need to restructure the squad or replace the manager. A few of the old-school managers (Fergie especially) were defined by their ability to constantly refresh and restructure their squad so they never got tired of him and his management. But generally now few clubs would trust a manager to do that and it's cheaper to replace them than it is to restructure the team.

But it got me thinking. My impression is that isn't the case in NFL (and maybe other US sports) with, I assume, head coaches - is that right? Or am I wrong and there is the same thing? I just feel like there's lots of head coaches around who've been in place for like a decade and in England there's no-one left like that and, I think, a general perception that it won't happen again.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on December 10, 2019, 02:11:49 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 10, 2019, 02:06:36 PM

Jinxed :(

I wonder who jinxed Zenit St-Petersburg too.  :P
Guess somebody woke up Lyon at half-time.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2019, 05:22:42 PM
Yanks! A query.

With Guardiola's time at City (maybe) coming to an end this season, and Pochettino getting fired from Spurs there's been a lot of talk in England about the time limit on managers.

Basically that after 4-5 years they stop having the same effect on a group of players, it runs out, things get stale and either you need to restructure the squad or replace the manager. A few of the old-school managers (Fergie especially) were defined by their ability to constantly refresh and restructure their squad so they never got tired of him and his management. But generally now few clubs would trust a manager to do that and it's cheaper to replace them than it is to restructure the team.

But it got me thinking. My impression is that isn't the case in NFL (and maybe other US sports) with, I assume, head coaches - is that right? Or am I wrong and there is the same thing? I just feel like there's lots of head coaches around who've been in place for like a decade and in England there's no-one left like that and, I think, a general perception that it won't happen again.

My impression is that in college ball there are still de facto lifetime appointments, though they are less common than they were in the 70s and 80s.  This could in fact fit with your thesis since there is 100% turnover in personnel every five years in college.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2019, 05:22:42 PM
Yanks! A query.

It is much easier to reestructure teams in American style leagues, though. In the NBA sometimes you get reestructuring on the fly during the season itself, in some extreme cases, and player turnover can be quite high in some teams.

Sheilbh

That could be the difference and with college teams there's no need to restructure. It happens automatically so you can stay in place forever.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!