Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on November 27, 2019, 04:00:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 27, 2019, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 27, 2019, 01:40:56 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 27, 2019, 11:07:51 AM
Quote from: Josephus on November 27, 2019, 10:45:06 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 27, 2019, 10:29:03 AM
And that situation, you want the MLS to join?

I wish Don Garber wouldn't let MLS teams sell players outside the NA system.

Um, that would work well with the players union. "Sorry, I know Chelsea are willing to pay you $12 million, but alas you have to stay with DC United and get $3 million."

Probably not even legal.

That is how any other pro league in NA works.

Also, I am not saying players can't go, I am saying the teams shouldn't profit from it.

Why shouldn't a team profit from player sales?

Because it incensitize selling players.

Why are you against player selling?

The notion that players are a commodity rubs me the wrong way.

Revenue streams that comes from anything but winning are bad.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 28, 2019, 08:43:02 AM

Um, that would work well with the players union. "Sorry, I know Chelsea are willing to pay you $12 million, but alas you have to stay with DC United and get $3 million."

Probably not even legal.

Also, I am not saying players can't go, I am saying the teams shouldn't profit from it.

As if players weren't commodities in American sports, even more so when they don't even have a say in their trades, most of the time.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on November 28, 2019, 08:59:39 AM
As if players weren't commodities in American sports, even more so when they don't even have a say in their trades, most of the time.

It is not a perfect system either but the trading system is atleast a CBA approved mechanism.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 28, 2019, 09:26:31 AM

It is not a perfect system either but the trading system is atleast a CBA approved mechanism.

CBA?

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on November 28, 2019, 09:35:58 AM

CBA?

Collective Bargaining Agreement

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 28, 2019, 09:58:07 AM
Quote from: The Larch on November 28, 2019, 09:35:58 AM

CBA?

Collective Bargaining Agreement

COMMUNISM

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 28, 2019, 08:43:02 AM

Probably not even legal.

Winning doesn't bring any revenue, in any sport. REvenues, for the most part, come from TV rights and marketing.

Case in point: Toronto Maple Leafs.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 28, 2019, 11:13:16 AM
Winning doesn't bring any revenue, in any sport. REvenues, for the most part, come from TV rights and marketing.

I know as a Leafs fan that you may not be used to winning, but winning certainly does bring in revenue.  Players earn the same salary whether they're out after the regular season, or go on to win the cup.  As such any playoff ticket sales are pure profit for teams - there's no extra expense in player salaries.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Not quite true. In the lower leagues prize money is a big deal. The place a team finishes in the Premier league is also a huge income determiner via domestic TV right payments and for the top teams European  right payments.  Failure to qualify for Europe is what ultimately led to Leeds going into financial meltdown.
Though this is also part of why cup competitions in England aren't as significant as they once were. With the league Cup in particular, it's so much more rewarding to finish slightly higher in the league than actually win a trophy.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2019, 11:19:37 AM

I know as a Leafs fan that you may not be used to winning, but winning certainly does bring in revenue.  Players earn the same salary whether they're out after the regular season, or go on to win the cup.  As such any playoff ticket sales are pure profit for teams - there's no extra expense in player salaries.

My point is the Leafs are the second most profitable team in the NHL. They haven't won anything since the Beatles released Sergeant Pepper
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 28, 2019, 11:36:25 AM

My point is the Leafs are the second most profitable team in the NHL. They haven't won anything since the Beatles released Sergeant Pepper

Yes, but your words were "Winning doesn't bring any revenue, in any sport."  This was false.

Plus I couldn't resist the opportunity at a chance to trash talk Leaf fas. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2019, 11:38:20 AM

Plus I couldn't resist the opportunity at a chance to trash talk Leaf fas. :P

I noticed.  :D
Civis Romanus Sum

The Larch

I assume that players will have plenty of possible bonuses established in their contracts so, in case they make the playoffs, they'd be entitled to more money.

Liep

Group F has Portugal, France and Germany and some other poor country. They might all 3 go through though. :hmm:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

But it's a confusing draw. We get Belgium, Russia and Finland. Should be possible to get 4 points there.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk