Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 11, 2019, 02:37:33 PM
Quote from: Liep on June 11, 2019, 12:23:00 PM
The Swedish team is a joy to watch.

I guess you are not speaking about the game vs Spain.  :P

Oh, the men played too?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 11, 2019, 04:05:22 PM
13-0

I get you don't want to ease up and risk not getting that precious goal differential but scoring in stoppage time just seemed mean.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on June 11, 2019, 05:08:59 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 11, 2019, 02:37:33 PM
Quote from: Liep on June 11, 2019, 12:23:00 PM
The Swedish team is a joy to watch.

I guess you are not speaking about the game vs Spain.  :P

Oh, the men played too?

European qualifiers in Santiago Bernabéu, 3-0 for Spain with Sweden putting up a decent fight, only collapsing at the end of the game.
Sérgio Ramos being as always the quintessential arsehole.  :P

Josephus

USA ladies beat Thai ladies 13-0.

USA ladies were criticized for running up the score and over zealous celebrations for each goal.

I don't have an issue with running up the score. Goal difference counts after all, even though it's unlikely to matter in this case.

But the way they celebrated all their goals, including the final six, as though they won the World Cup was pretty disrespectful
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Only comparable slaughter for men I can think think of was back in 1982 with unfortunate Salvadorans losing 10-1 to Hungary.

24-team WC too much? Gap is widening, not tightening, the previous record for the ladies was Germany-Argentina 11-0 in 2007.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 12, 2019, 08:00:14 AM
24-team WC too much? Gap is widening, not tightening, the previous record for the ladies was Germany-Argentina 11-0 in 2007.

It doesn't really change. Canada beat Martinique 14-0 and Puerto Rico 21-0 all the way back in 1998.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 12, 2019, 08:40:36 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 12, 2019, 08:00:14 AM

It doesn't really change. Canada beat Martinique 14-0 and Puerto Rico 21-0 all the way back in 1998.

That's not unusual during qualification (the Oceanian ones have some extremely lopsided results), but it's a different thing during the final stages.

Josephus

The gap is not really the issue I'm calling out though; it's the over-the-top celebrations that are causing the controversy.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

alfred russel

Quote from: Josephus on June 12, 2019, 07:47:32 AM

USA ladies were criticized for running up the score and over zealous celebrations for each goal.

I don't have an issue with running up the score. Goal difference counts after all, even though it's unlikely to matter in this case.

But the way they celebrated all their goals, including the final six, as though they won the World Cup was pretty disrespectful

Also, it is worth keeping in mind the most athletic thai women aren't pursuing soccer. Oh the shows I've seen...what they can do with a ping pong ball... :homestar:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on June 12, 2019, 10:40:40 AM

Also, it is worth keeping in mind the most athletic thai women aren't pursuing soccer. Oh the shows I've seen...what they can do with a ping pong ball... :homestar:

Valmy

Yeah it kind of reminded me of that South Park episode where Stan's peewee hockey team gets destroyed by a NHL team who then proceeds to have an over-the-top celebration.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 12, 2019, 10:40:40 AM

Took me a minute. Been awhile since I've seen Yellow Emmanuelle :perv:
Civis Romanus Sum

Zoupa

The celebrations past 4 - 0 were very crass. What's wrong with people? Basic human decency is in short supply it seems.

Duque de Bragança

France beat Norway 2-1 with another goal by Virgil van Dijk Wendy Renard. It was an own goal though.

Grey Fox

Brazil's soccer federation is so petty, the Women's wear the Men's 5 stars on their kit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.