News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

So the NLD is postponed. As an Arsenal fan, I understand why the club applied to postpone it, but I also think they should just get on with it and beat Spurs tomorrow with the reserves anyway  :lol:

The rest of the league up in arms because this game was postponed is a bit rich though. Lots of other games have been postponed because of non-Covid reasons. And Spurs fans upset because they aren't going to be able to play against Arsenal's children is  :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

It looks like we will finally get rid of Benitez - given that I think we've won 5 points since October and are showing genuine relegation form it feels late to me. And a shame that it happens after the owner decided to let Benitez utterly remodel our recruitment/scouting etc in his image and drive out one of our most creative players - and of course the guy who thought Benitez was the answer to all our problems will appoint his successor :bleeding: :weep:

Feels like a matter of time before we end up in the Championship with Moshiri running the club. I just don't think rich people are capable at looking at all of the bad consequences of their decisions with any self-reflection that maybe it's them making all of those decisions that's the problem.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

I've been reading through the Manchester United Subreddit because I love drinking their tears and it really sounds like Arsenal circa late Emery.

Players who don't fit the team or even care about the club but are on high wages so they can't get rid of. Lack of an exciting or even coherent style on the pitch that makes matches so dull to watch. Poor executive decisions compounded by the inability to admit mistakes. Hopeless team management made impossible by poor team morale. Unresponsive ownership whose only object is to milk the club for all it's worth. Poisonous fan atmosphere that exacerbates all the other problems at the club.

Feels good to see all this happen at a rival club and not mine  :lol:

Zoupa

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 15, 2022, 12:38:24 PM
So the NLD is postponed. As an Arsenal fan, I understand why the club applied to postpone it, but I also think they should just get on with it and beat Spurs tomorrow with the reserves anyway  :lol:

The rest of the league up in arms because this game was postponed is a bit rich though. Lots of other games have been postponed because of non-Covid reasons. And Spurs fans upset because they aren't going to be able to play against Arsenal's children is  :cool:

Guess Arsenal are too scared to play. Chiiiiiiiiiiiiiickens. Clubs using Covid to mask their shitty team management lol

The Larch

It seems that Christian Erikssen has been offered a 6 month contract by Brentford, with an option to extend it for the next season.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zoupa on January 16, 2022, 01:45:07 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 15, 2022, 12:38:24 PM

Guess Arsenal are too scared to play. Chiiiiiiiiiiiiiickens. Clubs using Covid to mask their shitty team management lol

This part of the argument is a little rich coming from a Spurs fan, whose team has benefitted enormously from postponed matches and was hoping to field a nearly full strength first XI vs an injury-ridden Arsenal. Might it be because earlier this season a full strength Arsenal completely clowned on a full strength Spurs?

Zoupa

How many players were unavailable due to COVID for Arsenal last Sunday?

They had injuries, red card suspensions and African Cup absentees. That's just Football. You don't get a do-over just because you can't field your ideal squad.

Hence: chickens.

crazy canuck

FIFA gives Christine Sinclair a life time achievement award for her most ever international goal total.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/christine-sinclair-fifa-awards-gala-1.6318040

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2022, 01:57:14 PM
FIFA gives Christine Sinclair a life time achievement award for her most ever international goal total.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/christine-sinclair-fifa-awards-gala-1.6318040

Yeah...but otherwise Canada got snubbed.
Stephanie Labbe deserved Womens' Goalkeeper of the Year.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticUK/status/1483831774287470596?t=vYRB-15z5jhOqk4SuHFi7A&s=19
QuoteThe FA is investigating a yellow card received by an Arsenal player in a Premier League fixture this season, amid concerns of suspicious betting patterns.

Yup, sounds about right to me.

Arsenal have had a strange January :lol:

Jacob

Comoros - first time participants - beat Ghana (quadruple winners) 3-2  in the group stage and knock Ghana out of the Africa Cup.

Highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9PFjGL1pWU

Duque de Bragança

Comoros can actually still qualify but will need very favourable results, such as Tunisia losing by half a dozen goals (!). Tunisia has its squad weakened by Covid however, so who knows.

Marseille (biggest Comoros city in the world) must have been rowdy last night.  :D

Zoupa

FunkMonk

Scraping a lucky win against an injury-decimated Leicester City LOL

Spurs will always Spurs it up. There is still half a season left for everything to average out, there's no trophy for 4th place halfway through the season, it's a marathon not a sprint, etc etc etc