News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

He sort of reminds me of Riquelme, which was an even more extreme case. When the team is willing to accomodate to all his foibles, it can work great, but if they want to change the way he plays it won't work too well.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on September 20, 2020, 03:49:18 PM
He sort of reminds me of Riquelme, which was an even more extreme case. When the team is willing to accomodate to all his foibles, it can work great, but if they want to change the way he plays it won't work too well.
Maybe. It's still very early but he does more defensively than I was expecting, but that's not what we got him for so we will very much accomodate his foibles. Also, weirdly Everton accidentally announced signing Riquelme on their website before having to pull it as the deal collapsed - so maybe we've just finally completed that narrative.

Although it's very alien to my experience of having a team that you have so much talent that you can sideline someone like him because he doesn't track back enough (though Moyes definitely would) :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2020, 04:07:28 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 20, 2020, 03:49:18 PMAlthough it's very alien to my experience of having a team that you have so much talent that you can sideline someone like him because he doesn't track back enough (though Moyes definitely would) :lol:

Depends on the team and the coach, I guess, and what's above what, if the tactics are above the players or the players above the tactics, how big a name the player in question is, how much authority the coach has...

A "lazy" but super talented player has definitely more chances in a smaller team where he's the one calling the shots than in a big club where other players might be more or less as talented as him and way more disciplined. You have to be a generational talent to be able to coast without making much effort in the greyer areas of the game, and I have my doubts if nowadays even generational talents get a pass from pressing and tracking back.

celedhring

So, in a move totally unfitting of his character it looks like Luís Suárez cheated in his Italian language exam to get Italian citizenship. The Italian police is getting involved, since I guess cheating in a citizenship exam is kinda serious.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Did he bite the examiner for the oral exam?

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 22, 2020, 07:12:00 AM
So, in a move totally unfitting of his character it looks like Luís Suárez cheated in his Italian language exam to get Italian citizenship. The Italian police is getting involved, since I guess cheating in a citizenship exam is kinda serious.  :lol:

So that's why he's not going to Juventus?  :P

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on September 22, 2020, 09:22:04 AM

So that's why he's not going to Juventus?  :P

He would fit right in.

Duque de Bragança

Luis could not conjugate verbs and was using the infinitive form all the time.  :hmm: Or so it is claimed there:
Quote"Non coniuga i verbi'' e ''parla all'infinito'' afferma un indagato in una delle intercettazioni.

https://www.adnkronos.com/fatti/cronaca/2020/09/22/caso-suarez-intercettazione-stipendio-mln-deve-passare-esame_fIyDnaHLW5MAI5k2w2T7rO.html

Josquius

Well that's worrying. If even a Spanish speaker needs to cheat on this exam. :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2020, 02:06:18 AM
Well that's worrying. If even a Spanish speaker needs to cheat on this exam. :ph34r:

It's still a formal exam in a foreign language, no matter how similar the languages are.

celedhring

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd fail an Italian exam.  :hmm:

Josquius

Going in cold sure. But given time to study and prepare?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2020, 03:47:02 AM
Going in cold sure. But given time to study and prepare?

Don't think he had much time for that.

Duque de Bragança

Pretty easy to figure out for Romance language speakers:

celedhring