News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

You guys think the 5-sub rule is here to stay? I know they've extended it for next season. Not sure I can see them going back now. Thoughts?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on August 04, 2020, 06:30:47 AM
You guys think the 5-sub rule is here to stay? I know they've extended it for next season. Not sure I can see them going back now. Thoughts?

I fear it is, this kind of rule changes rarely go back once they're in place.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on August 04, 2020, 06:35:54 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 04, 2020, 06:30:47 AM

I fear it is, this kind of rule changes rarely go back once they're in place.
Yeah.

Flipside is I think it's not been authorised in England for the PL and from my understanding it is the different leagues who decide on this - but I could be wrong. And I can't see much incentive for most of the clubs to back a change that probably just gives an(other) advantage to the richest teams.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

More chances to develop youngsters in FM, though!

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on August 04, 2020, 06:56:08 AM
More chances to develop youngsters in FM, though!

Which they'd implement this in the current edition in a patch :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

So the Premier League have voted against continuing the five sub rule.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

I quite like end of domestic seasons, then Champions League/Europa knock-outs :mellow: :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2020, 02:36:24 PM
I quite like end of domestic seasons, then Champions League/Europa knock-outs :mellow: :hmm:

Feels like yank sports.

Definitely don't like the single game format for the CL though.

FunkMonk

We all have to make sacrifices for the greater cause of Football.

Like the 55 Arsenal staff and scouts that they let go because I guess they're redundant now that Arsenal get all their players through Raul and Kia :bleeding:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Sarri out, following Juve's elimination of the Champions' League. That first half of that game in Lyon, corona virus super-spreader event aside, sealed his fate, despite the subsequent 2-1 victory in Turin.

celedhring

Besides Varane's howlers, City was a cut above Madrid in fitness yesterday. I think that whoever has managed this weird schedule the best will ultimately win the CL.

It's not going to be us, that's for sure.

Sheilbh

City were really excellent at actually just controlling the game, especially the second half, and just keeping Madir at arm's length.

I wonder if it's a benefit or a hindrance for the French teams that they've not played any football in 5 months compared to the English, Italian, Spanish and German teams?
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 08, 2020, 10:27:33 AM
City were really excellent at actually just controlling the game, especially the second half, and just keeping Madir at arm's length.

I wonder if it's a benefit or a hindrance for the French teams that they've not played any football in 5 months compared to the English, Italian, Spanish and German teams?

They were on top of Real Madrid whenever they tried to get the ball out. They snuffed them out completely. I think fitness will play a big role.

Dunno about the French teams, I'd say it's a hindrance but then again the league schedules have been super-crazy with games every 2 days, and it probably has taken a toll on those who have had their leagues completed.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 08, 2020, 10:27:33 AM

PSG played two cup finals so it was not as bad as Lyon. OTOH, the Juve schedule did not help but their uninspired game and Dybala's injury are a better explanation.
It's not a great Lyon side, when the league was ended, they were 7th, their worst ranking in 20 years or more.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!