And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 27, 2020, 05:08:59 PM
Quote from: Liep on March 27, 2020, 02:41:46 PM
So Liverpool will still be without a win? Is this whole thing something sheilbh is dreaming?

I think that is actually a real possibility  :lol:
Shit - Tyr's monkey paw theory strikes again :o
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

One should never provoke the wrath of the football gods so brazenly.

Maladict

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

So with cancelling all larger events until September the government effectively killed this football season. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it with some leagues here only about half way done.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on April 06, 2020, 04:12:04 PM
So with cancelling all larger events until September the government effectively killed this football season. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it with some leagues here only about half way done.

Can't they play behind closed doors?

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on April 06, 2020, 04:14:06 PM
Quote from: Liep on April 06, 2020, 04:12:04 PM

Can't they play behind closed doors?

Maybe, but right now there's a limit to 10 people until may 10. There are exception for work places though so maybe they can finish the season without audience.

But most clubs have send home personel to receive government help, so maybe they can't afford to play without match day money..
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

More general sports than football specific. But it turns out Wimbledon's been paying £1.5 million a year for the last 17 years for pandemic insurance which I think they're the only sports tournament or league or club I've heard of doing something like this.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 08, 2020, 05:14:36 PM
More general sports than football specific. But it turns out Wimbledon's been paying £1.5 million a year for the last 17 years for pandemic insurance which I think they're the only sports tournament or league or club I've heard of doing something like this.

Apparently the Royal & Ancient has pandemic insurance as well, which is apparently part of the reason that the Open has been cancelled whereas the American Majors have only been postponed.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

OK, so this pandemic does have a silver lining, it's stopped two of the most deadly dull sports known to mankind.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on April 08, 2020, 05:44:52 PM
OK, so this pandemic does have a silver lining, it's stopped two of the most deadly dull sports known to mankind.  :cool:
Tennis is great - on golf we agree.

I am kind of looking forward to some of the plans to replace sports on TV. I think ITV is going to re-run Euro '96 and the BBC's doing loads of stuff, I'm particularly excited by their promise to cover the "greatest moments in snooker" :mmm: :wub:

And the GAA are putting some classics on the internet to stream so I watched the 2013 All Ireland Replay Hurling final between Clare and Cork which is apparently considered one of the best ever finals. It was great, I really enjoyed it. I am still none the wiser as to the rules of hurling but it was very enjoyable.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Golf is a little Nascar in that the best part is when they fuck up.

Josquius

Its certain shown its worth now, but £1.5 million seems excessive :blink:
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on April 09, 2020, 03:25:30 AM
Its certain shown its worth now, but £1.5 million seems excessive :blink:

That will be nothing compared to the new premiums.

Sheilbh

Yeah. I imagine it was highly bespoke/negotiated piece of cover.

I'm just quite impressed at the forethought. It's not something sports leadership is well-known for :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!