And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on March 12, 2020, 10:52:47 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 12, 2020, 09:40:22 AM
Suspend for now & resume in the summer. Euro 2020 can be delayed to 2021.

UEFA will decide on European competitions next week. I read that it can be taken for granted that the Euro will be pushed back to 2021.

I'm rarely this clairvoyant.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Wonder what this means for the nations league thingy (meh) and World Cup qualifiers
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Major League Soccer suspended.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

In Portugal, after games behind closed doors, now the Primeira Liga is suspended.
More of a margin in Portugal, due to one the worst years in European competitions since 1978-79 ; no team made it be to the round of 16.

The Larch

Mikel Arteta has tested positive for coronavirus and Arsenal close down their training facilities and quarantine their full first team and a number of coaches. The premier league is, I think, one of the few ones that has not been suspended yet, and they're intending to play this weekend as usual.

Sheilbh

It's crazy - I can only assume they're waiting for government to force them to shut down :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2020, 05:52:06 PM
It's crazy - I can only assume they're waiting for government to force them to shut down :bleeding:

Scotland has already announced a ban on events of more than 500 people starting on monday. On sunday it's Rangers Vs. Celtic.

Sheilbh

The Premier League has announced....a meeting to discuss whether to delay games :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I just hope there's some special fund in place to cover the losses teams will endure. As you say gate fees are a big deal for many teams. A lot of clubs living week to week. We may see another Bury or two.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2020, 02:35:52 AM
I just hope there's some special fund in place to cover the losses teams will endure. As you say gate fees are a big deal for many teams. A lot of clubs living week to week. We may see another Bury or two.

Not anymore, at least not for the top divisions. Nowadays it's TV rights what keeps a club's coffers full. Gate fees are less and less relevant as time goes on. Unless you mean teams in lower divisions, I guess.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on March 13, 2020, 05:24:17 AM
Not anymore, at least not for the top divisions. Nowadays it's TV rights what keeps a club's coffers full. Gate fees are less and less relevant as time goes on. Unless you mean teams in lower divisions, I guess.
Yeah - there's loads of teams in the lower divisions who rely on it and would go bust without their home games. From what I understand some are literally living home game to home game, so this would have a big impact.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2020, 05:25:55 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 13, 2020, 05:24:17 AM
Yeah - there's loads of teams in the lower divisions who rely on it and would go bust without their home games. From what I understand some are literally living home game to home game, so this would have a big impact.

Sounds like they are not viable businesses then.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

UEFA has postponed Champions League and Europa League games due next week.

Josquius

Wish they'd called things off 2 weeks back. Would help our results.
██████
██████
██████