And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

City banned from UEFA competitions for two years.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/14/manchester-city-banned-from-champions-league-two-seasons-ffp-uefa
QuoteCity were found guilty by Uefa's club financial control body (CFCB) of having falsely inflated their sponsorship revenues, when they made submissions for the FFP compliance process. The guilty finding follows an investigation sparked by the publication of "leaked" emails and documents by the German magazine Der Spiegel in November 2018.

The "leaked" emails and documents appeared to show that City's owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan of the Abu Dhabi ruling family, was mostly funding the huge, £67.5m annual sponsorship of the City shirt, stadium and academy by his country's airline, Etihad. One of the leaked emails suggested that only £8m of that sponsorship in 2015-16 was funded directly by Etihad, and the rest was coming from Mansour's own company vehicle for the ownership of City, the Abu Dhabi United Group.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on February 14, 2020, 01:58:15 PM
City banned from UEFA competitions for two years.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/14/manchester-city-banned-from-champions-league-two-seasons-ffp-uefa
QuoteCity were found guilty by Uefa's club financial control body (CFCB) of having falsely inflated their sponsorship revenues, when they made submissions for the FFP compliance process. The guilty finding follows an investigation sparked by the publication of "leaked" emails and documents by the German magazine Der Spiegel in November 2018.

The "leaked" emails and documents appeared to show that City's owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan of the Abu Dhabi ruling family, was mostly funding the huge, £67.5m annual sponsorship of the City shirt, stadium and academy by his country's airline, Etihad. One of the leaked emails suggested that only £8m of that sponsorship in 2015-16 was funded directly by Etihad, and the rest was coming from Mansour's own company vehicle for the ownership of City, the Abu Dhabi United Group.

Wow. That's huge
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Holy shit  :lol:

I guess that means Pep will want out sooner rather than later. Where the hell else would he go, though?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 14, 2020, 02:34:20 PM
Holy shit  :lol:

I guess that means Pep will want out sooner rather than later. Where the hell else would he go, though?

Paris Saint-Germain, if they don't go further Round of 16 or perhaps Quarter Finals. :P

PS: assuming PSG does not get his by the same kind of sanctions.

Josephus

i'm sure there will be an appeal...so one year...still.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Wow. City fans will intensify their hatred of UEFA :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Talk of a Premier league points deduction for City too.
Hope that comes next year considering this year is already lost to them. It would sort of cheapen Liverpools victory.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

:(

"Porto forward Moussa Marega walked off midway through his side's win at Vitoria Guimaraes, saying he was subjected to racist abuse from fans."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51526210

Shameful, do life time bans for these people help?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Well, one of the few times the Portuguese league gets some coverage is "thanks" to them. :(

PS : did not watch the game, I wonder if it was heard on TV. Catch-up time.
Seems the racist insults started before kick-off.
During warm-up, insults started with Guimarães Ultras calling Marega, a former Vitoria Guimarães player, a traitor. I guess things got out of hands, and racist slurs followed with Marega showing them the finger.

FunkMonk

Watched Chelsea vs United...

VAR is a farce  :lol:

Admiral Yi

:mad:

Why was Dreadlocks not playing?

Liep

Braithwaite to Barca. Quite a chocking transfer, he's a good player but it could only happen because of Barca's current striker shortage and the closure of the transfer window. I'll watch their game on Saturday with renewed interest.

If it happens, but the press talks about it as a sure deal.

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on February 18, 2020, 06:50:45 AM
Braithwaite to Barca. Quite a chocking transfer, he's a good player but it could only happen because of Barca's current striker shortage and the closure of the transfer window. I'll watch their game on Saturday with renewed interest.

If it happens, but the press talks about it as a sure deal.

There are 5 or 6 names (all equally underwhelming for a club of Barcelona's stature, though) being bandied around in the press every day, who knows who'll be at the end of the day, if any.

FunkMonk