News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josephus on January 06, 2020, 10:10:50 AM
I don't know. While there are exceptions (Wolves this year), most teams that get promoted from the Championship to the Premier have a hard time staying up. There is a fair bit of difference between the premier league and the lower teams. Money plays a huge role in this.
It depends how long-view you look at it. There's always 1-2 clubs that go straight back down - Wolves are an exception but it's often they're the ones who already have a lot of money (for the Championship) and try to rebuild their squad for the Premier League. It feels like the teams that basically have a project to get into the Premier League and stick with it to survive tend to do better.

But I sort of wonder if, after a while, the energy of that project to get promotion and survive wears off if there's nothing new to aim for. Like Southampton and Bournemouth this season and Swansea or Wigan before them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Why is it that every time I look at the PL standing Liverpool has one less game played than everyone (-1) else?

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2020, 03:29:24 PM
Why is it that every time I look at the PL standing Liverpool has one less game played than everyone (-1) else?

They haven't played the round against West Ham yet, they'll probably play it on a weekday when there's no CL or Cup games.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on January 09, 2020, 03:32:32 PM
They haven't played the round against West Ham yet, they'll probably play it on a weekday when there's no CL or Cup games.

Is there a special reason they haven't played it yet?

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2020, 03:36:46 PM

I haven't heard of any extreme weather in England this season so it's probably scheduling conflicts with cup games or similar. Usually they can't fit in more than 2 games a week.

EDIT: Google says it's because of the FIFA Club World Cup.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2020, 03:36:46 PM

I guess they skipped the game because it was meant to be played during the Club's World Cup that Liverpool played due to them being the current Champions League title holders. Now they'll have to wait for a suitable new date to be available, maybe they'll end up playing mid week some time later in the season.

Liep

Williams with the miss of the decade. 1 meter from goal and he shoots it out of the stadium.

Admiral Yi

What is the Emirates FA Cup?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2020, 03:55:18 PM
What is the Emirates FA Cup?

England's FA Cup, its oldest and most prestigious cup competition. The Emirates thing is for sponsorship reasons.

Sheilbh

Also within English culture it used to matter more than the league - I think partly because it was on TV when the league wasn't - but now is very much secondary in importance.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It's sad how far it has fallen. Secondary is over stating it. It seems even middling premier league teams don't care these days.
Money is the reason of course.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

In a decision that might go down in football management history as one of the possible worst ones ever, Barcelona have fired Valverde because reasons and hired Quique Setién instead.

Liep

Yeah, not understanding that decision at all. Setiens resume doesn't look that impressive, is he known in Spain?

celedhring

Valverde was terrible. Setién will also suck.

Way to piss away the last years of Messi's prime.