Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 16, 2019, 03:27:17 PM
My mind is blown :o

Seems like a great move by the club, though I'm wondering about Ancelotti's reasons for going to Everton.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on December 16, 2019, 08:52:23 PM
So someone want to explain the Serie A initiative against racism, which features images of monkeys to me?

Maybe they are saying we are all just hairless apes? Though granted Italians are less hairless than many of us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on December 16, 2019, 08:52:23 PM
So someone want to explain the Serie A initiative against racism, which features images of monkeys to me?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2019/12/16/serie-a-italy-soccer-anti-racism-campaign-monkey-imagery/40836381/

According to the artist it's to show that "we're all just apes".

However, considering that black players are still subjected to chants of ape sounds, this is pretty tone deaf.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I like it. It does look cool.
But as a anti racist campaign its the opposite of a good idea.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Arsenal have appointed Mikel Arteta's immaculate hair as their head coach and I'm chuffed.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 20, 2019, 12:52:40 PM
Arsenal have appointed Mikel Arteta's immaculate hair as their head coach and I'm chuffed.
One of my favourite ever Everton players. And as excited as I am by what we're doing I am slightly gutted Arteta's going to Arsenal (again) :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Tomorrow's game will be odd if only because both new managers will be watching from the stands.  :D

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

I like the physics of how Mahrez is cannoned into the air after being stepped a little on his foot.

Goddamn VAR.

Sheilbh

Yeah. I try not to get into the whole VAR debate because :yawn: but this game feels like has been a little bit ridiculous.

And often the debate about VAR is actually really about the rules. People are really criticising whatever the rule is through the medium of VAR because x rule wasn't previously really enforced that harshly. Whereas that just seems like one where there's no need for the VAR to intervene from the refs decision :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Fucking lol if none of the other Big Six in the Premier League are in the top 4 at the end of the season except Liverpool.