News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Just checked out of curiosity, in the NBA out of 30 head coaches, 9 of them have been in their current position for 5 years or longer, and out of those 9, 3 have been there for 10 years or more (23 years for Popovich at the Spurs!  :o)

Sheilbh

:lol: And in all of English league football there are four managers who've been in place for more than 5 years and well over half are under 2 years.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2019, 05:22:42 PM
Yanks! A query.

With Guardiola's time at City (maybe) coming to an end this season, and Pochettino getting fired from Spurs there's been a lot of talk in England about the time limit on managers.

Basically that after 4-5 years they stop having the same effect on a group of players, it runs out, things get stale and either you need to restructure the squad or replace the manager. A few of the old-school managers (Fergie especially) were defined by their ability to constantly refresh and restructure their squad so they never got tired of him and his management. But generally now few clubs would trust a manager to do that and it's cheaper to replace them than it is to restructure the team.

But it got me thinking. My impression is that isn't the case in NFL (and maybe other US sports) with, I assume, head coaches - is that right? Or am I wrong and there is the same thing? I just feel like there's lots of head coaches around who've been in place for like a decade and in England there's no-one left like that and, I think, a general perception that it won't happen again.

This is just a guess, but I'd say that the influx of really big money is what is driving that.  There's not only more pressure to win, but to win NOW! when the monetary stakes go up.  But in the long term, there is a good bit of value in stability, too, and eventually successful managers and coaches get to stick around until they leave more-or-less on their own terms.  I think that managerial/coaching stability is probably cyclical in the long term.

Sheilbh

I think that's definitely part of it - and the lack of jeopardy also probably helps American coaches. Missing out on Champions League or relegation has serious financial consequences so owners are likely to gamble on replacing a manager in trouble. But what's interesting with Guardiola and Pochettino is they've both been very successful (and Guardiola has his own reasons), but part of the theory of why they're faltering or faltered now is that they've reached the limit of what they can do with broadly the same team.

And this trend goes beyond the top division, so those examples I was giving covers all 72 teams in four tiers of English football, which is partly just churn. If anything it's even more febrile in the lower leagues - which I don't fully understand.

Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Agelastus on December 07, 2019, 04:46:13 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2019, 12:57:19 PM
It is weird though how much fans have bought into the commercial sides push to finish a space higher in the league rather than win a tournament

That's just normal hope though; "if we finish even one place higher we'll have the money to buy that one special player, or hire that one manager, that will lift our team from mediocrity to glory". Despite being a team sport football is also one of the last places where "the great man of history" theory holds sway.

Even if only due to the self-promotion of those involved - for example Jose "the special one" Mourinho.

I don't think many fans see it that way.. There's not too much awareness of how money is shared out in the Premier league.  If I was supporting a mid table Premier league team ( this decade.... Promised so much on all fronts.... :cry:) I'd take a cup over half a dozen places higher up the league.

Finishing higher than rivals is a fair point.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

VAR woes #3109. Clear elbow to the face and an obvious red card, the ref misses it but VAR does nothing even though there are several angles showing the incident.

They really need to have an info screen on TV direct from the VAR room explaining calls and no calls.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2019, 06:55:50 PM
I don't think many fans see it that way.. There's not too much awareness of how money is shared out in the Premier league.  If I was supporting a mid table Premier league team ( this decade.... Promised so much on all fronts.... :cry:) I'd take a cup over half a dozen places higher up the league.
Agree. It varies a little bit so newly promoted teams want to be secure for the first few seasons, I imagine Leicester and Wolves would care more about the league too - same for any other club that could get a European place.

QuoteFinishing higher than rivals is a fair point.
Agreed. It's been a long time :cry:
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

So, apparently we are going to get a MLS team in North Carolina, but it's going to be in Charlotte instead of Raleigh.  Supposedly it will be officially announced on the 17th.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2019, 06:11:01 PM
:lol: And in all of English league football there are four managers who've been in place for more than 5 years and well over half are under 2 years.

It varies widely on a per organisation basis, especially in pro sports.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have had 3 coaches in 50 years. (NFL)
The Edmonton Oilers have had 7 coaches in 10 years. (NHL)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on December 11, 2019, 05:37:17 PM
So, apparently we are going to get a MLS team in North Carolina, but it's going to be in Charlotte instead of Raleigh.  Supposedly it will be officially announced on the 17th.

Lame. Charlotte gets everything as it is.

We also are getting a MLS team, the Austin Anthem. Maybe they will crush your team at some future date.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2019, 02:01:18 PM
Quote from: dps on December 11, 2019, 05:37:17 PM

Lame. Charlotte gets everything as it is.

Apparently, part of the reason for the expansion team going to Charlotte is because how well Raleigh has supported its NASL club.  So why not give the MLS franchise to Raleigh, instead of Charlotte.  Well, actually, we know why--David Tepper's money,

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on December 12, 2019, 05:39:23 PM
Apparently, part of the reason for the expansion team going to Charlotte is because how well Raleigh has supported its NASL club.  So why not give the MLS franchise to Raleigh, instead of Charlotte.  Well, actually, we know why--David Tepper's money,

I was going to call you a wuss, but i checked and the two are much further apart than I thought.   I thought maybe an hour drive.

Duque de Bragança

Draws of European Cups :

Champions' League

Dortmund (GER) v Paris (FRA)

Real Madrid (ESP) v Man. City (ENG)

Atalanta (ITA) v Valencia (ESP)

Atlético Madrid (ESP) v Liverpool (ENG)

Chelsea (ENG) v Bayern (GER)

Lyon (FRA) v Juventus (ITA)

Tottenham (ENG) v Leipzig (GER)

Napoli (ITA) v Barcelona (ESP)

Juventus should have no problem with Lyon being the weakest and losing Depay for the remainder of the season. PSG may reach quarters this time. Atalanta-Valencia brings some novelty. Seems tough for Atlético. Bayern favourite. Lipsians have a decent draw though far from easy. Barça favourite, though Napoli could resist if the mess there gets sorted out.

Europa League (in Portuguese but you will recognise all teams)  :P

Wolverhampton-Espanhol Barcelona
Sporting-Basaksehir
Getafe-Ajax Amesterdão
Bayer Leverkusen-FC Porto
Copenhaga-Celtic
APOEL-Basileia
Cluj-Sevilha
Olympiacos-Arsenal
AZ Alkmaar-LASK Linz
Club Bruges-Manchester United
Ludogorets-Inter
Eintracht Francoforte-Salzburgo
Shakhtar Donetsk-Benfica
Wolfsburgo-Malmö
Roma-Gent
Rangers-Braga

Not the best draw for Porto.  :hmm: Sporting will get my support against Herr Dogan's team.  :P Perhaps Benfica will field an A-team this time.  :D Braga can make it.

Josephus

Some pretty good matches there:

Especially:

Real Madrid (ESP) v Man. City (ENG)

Atlético Madrid (ESP) v Liverpool (ENG)

Chelsea (ENG) v Bayern (GER)

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Looks like Everton snagged Ancelotti.  :bowler:

Arsenal must be in for Arteta.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.