Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on November 26, 2019, 08:54:51 PM
Get rid of drafts as well.  :ph34r:

Hehe. No.

The whole idea is to have a cartel designed to make every owner money. If you have open season for players well...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2019, 09:01:44 PM
don't know how baseball teams get their Latin American players, though, maybe you could enlighten me there

Basically, they get them the way they used to get U.S. players before there was a draft--they scout amateur players and sign them.  No draft, so no one has exclusive rights to sign a player;  just whoever does a better job of scouting and makes better offers gets the better players. 

There's been a fair bit of talk about having a world-wide draft, but nothing much has come of it yet, and I'm not sure it ever will, at least not any time soon.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on November 26, 2019, 09:04:19 PM
(don't know how baseball teams get their Latin American players, though, maybe you could enlighten me there).

They scout every league around the world for talent. It is pretty cut throat. If you play baseball in your country Major League Baseball has at least given your country a glance.

But for some big time Latin American baseball nations, like Venezuela and the Dominican Republic, there will be camps and leagues and academies sponsored by Major League baseball teams to find players.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: dps on November 26, 2019, 09:22:08 PM
don't know how baseball teams get their Latin American players, though, maybe you could enlighten me there

Basically, they get them the way they used to get U.S. players before there was a draft--they scout amateur players and sign them.  No draft, so no one has exclusive rights to sign a player;  just whoever does a better job of scouting and makes better offers gets the better players. 

There's been a fair bit of talk about having a world-wide draft, but nothing much has come of it yet, and I'm not sure it ever will, at least not any time soon.

Yeah. To the victors go the spoils. It is kind of fascinating.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on November 26, 2019, 03:49:20 PM
VAR keeps being confusing and utterly arbitrary. You can apparently VAR check a (very) small free kick and then cancel a clear penalty and a doubtful red card.

:huh:

That's a reference to the Real Madrid-PSG game right?
At least, there was a mini-remontada for the PSG this time.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on November 26, 2019, 09:20:52 PMIf you have open season for players well...

What if it's like that? You already have too much cut-throat capitalism in your daily life that you don't need it in your sports?  :P

The Larch

I have no idea on how you quoted my post with Yi's name on it.  :lol:

Ok, so it seems quite like how any other league in the world in pro sports sign their players, then.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on November 26, 2019, 09:26:24 PM

Yeah. To the victors go the spoils. It is kind of fascinating.

How so is it fascinating? As I said, it's the standard model for most pro sports in the world. A player from anywhere is good at the sport they play, teams scout the player and, if they want to sign, extend offers to the club the player is currently at and the player as well. What's so fascinating about it?

Grey Fox

The NHL has mostly perfected drafting. Universal & if you're 18 in October of the draft year you are eligible.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on November 26, 2019, 03:49:20 PM
VAR keeps being confusing and utterly arbitrary. You can apparently VAR check a (very) small free kick and then cancel a clear penalty and a doubtful red card.

:huh:

Not the way it works. VAR doesn't check for small free kicks; but if it leads to a goal or a penalty, then they go back to it. And yes, it's stupid
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: dps on November 26, 2019, 08:49:30 PM
Sure you could, but you'd have to design a system whereby teams outside of the top leagues could draft players.

In fact, in baseball it was once the case that minor league teams could theoretically draft players, but then around 1990 when a minor league team did draft a player, the rules were quickly changed before the next draft.

What could the the Sioux City Hedgehogs, with a payroll of $50/game per player plus a Denny's meal voucher, do with the #1 overall pick?  They could sell the pick to another team, but then we'd have a proliferation of teams that exist solely to profit by gaming the system.

That sort of exists in Europe too, where lower tier teams survive simply by selling their prospects to higher tier teams.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Not just lower tier teams either, there are big teams and some entire leagues that depend on player trading.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 27, 2019, 08:48:23 AM
Not just lower tier teams either, there are big teams and some entire leagues that depend on player trading.

The Dutch league comes to mind, yeah
Civis Romanus Sum

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on November 27, 2019, 09:43:52 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 27, 2019, 08:48:23 AM

The Dutch league comes to mind, yeah

Or the Portuguese one. And nowadays with the deep pockets of every single Premier League club it seems as if almost every European league is a feeder for the Premier.