News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

AFAIK, it'll be like that for at least the next 3 seasons.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Liep on November 20, 2019, 03:14:30 AM
Porchettino out Mourinho in. What a trade for Tottenham. :bleeding:

Hahahahahaha
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on November 20, 2019, 03:14:30 AM
Porchettino out Mourinho in. What a trade for Tottenham. :bleeding:
Woke up to some surprised texts from my Spurs-supporting fans :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

The Special One gets a freebie against a very passive West Ham.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: dps on November 15, 2019, 03:21:50 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 09, 2019, 09:28:17 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 09, 2019, 07:02:23 AM
In MLS there is always talk of adding a relegation system to the league,

Is there? Not officially.

They've actually said that they are studying it;  I posted about it some time back.  Now, it's entirely possible that they just said that to mollify fans who want to see it, but they did say it.  Of course, even if they were sincere, there's still a huge difference between studying an idea and deciding to implement it.

The MLS makes money by selling franchises, not by allowing mid-range teams to get promoted into it. Also, as I said earlier, it's hard to sell to potential new owner, say in Sacramento, "OK, so it will cost you millions to get a franchise, and just so you know, if you suck, you get booted out to a lower league."
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

So just flew back from London.

Highlight of my trip was seeing England at Wembley. Yeah, it was a 7-0 blow out, but it wasn't the game ... it was being there. Coming out of the subway stop and taking the view of thousands of people walking towards the stadium was amazing. Bucket trip item checked.

:bowler:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2019, 02:21:33 PM

Highlight of my trip was seeing England at Wembley. Yeah, it was a 7-0 blow out, but it wasn't the game ... it was being there. Coming out of the subway stop and taking the view of thousands of people walking towards the stadium was amazing. Bucket trip item checked.

Nice!

Did you partake in any hooliganism?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on November 23, 2019, 03:27:47 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2019, 02:21:33 PM

Nice!

Did you partake in any hooliganism?

No. It was quite a docile crowd that because of the lobsided score line (7-0) started to do the Mexican wave and fling paper airplanes around.
The closest I got was on the tube to the game, a few stops before wembley some rather stereotypical big steel worker types hopped on and started making a ruckus--but even that was disappointingly short of violent mayhem,
Civis Romanus Sum

Syt

It's not unusual to have Turkish football clubs in German. Apparently there's also a Serbian clubs. Like "FK Nikola Tesla Hamburg":

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

We need to have American expats form the FC Thomas Edison Hamburg to be their rival.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2019, 02:20:18 PM
Quote from: dps on November 15, 2019, 03:21:50 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 09, 2019, 09:28:17 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 09, 2019, 07:02:23 AM
In MLS there is always talk of adding a relegation system to the league,

Is there? Not officially.

They've actually said that they are studying it;  I posted about it some time back.  Now, it's entirely possible that they just said that to mollify fans who want to see it, but they did say it.  Of course, even if they were sincere, there's still a huge difference between studying an idea and deciding to implement it.

The MLS makes money by selling franchises, not by allowing mid-range teams to get promoted into it. Also, as I said earlier, it's hard to sell to potential new owner, say in Sacramento, "OK, so it will cost you millions to get a franchise, and just so you know, if you suck, you get booted out to a lower league."

Dude, I don't disagree with you--I don't think they'll ever actually do it.  But that doesn't change the fact that they did say that they are studying it.

Syt

The obvious difference being that American pro leagues have a top down approach - you have the top tier (NFL, MLB, etc.) and the rest serve to feed those teams with players.

In European football, it's a bottom up approach where this is played from a very basic grassroots level with every team having the (theoretical) chance to make it to the top floor if they're just good enough.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Brugge equalise in injury time and gets 2 players ejected, one for removing his shirt and one for kicking the corner flag (both already had yellow cards). Most idiotic celebration in Champions League history.

Liep

VAR keeps being confusing and utterly arbitrary. You can apparently VAR check a (very) small free kick and then cancel a clear penalty and a doubtful red card.

:huh: