Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 08, 2019, 09:44:28 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 09:42:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 09:41:53 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 09:40:28 AM
yes, and I hate them. I was in vegas when they played Portugal for the 2014 world cup. I was mightily annoyed

Why? Portugal didn't lose :P

didn't win either :D

Plus I was surrounded by USA chanters haha

I still remember PDH's annoyance after the extra time equalizer by Cristiano Ronaldo. I bet the chanters were pissed off too. ;)

wasn't it some porto player that tied?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 09:56:59 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 08, 2019, 09:44:28 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 09:42:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 09:41:53 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 09:40:28 AM
yes, and I hate them. I was in vegas when they played Portugal for the 2014 world cup. I was mightily annoyed

Why? Portugal didn't lose :P

didn't win either :D

Plus I was surrounded by USA chanters haha

I still remember PDH's annoyance after the extra time equalizer by Cristiano Ronaldo. I bet the chanters were pissed off too. ;)

wasn't it some porto player that tied?

Yep, Varela. I think Ronaldo made an assist which made me confused. I would have to check to be sure.
Ronaldo scored the second goal against Ghana.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Who in their right mind would take a live feed from a bar?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2019, 12:51:32 PM

I've seen lots of live feeds from bars during sporting events.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2019, 12:51:32 PM

It's quite common for football events. Everyone hates it including the journalists and the viewers so can't tell you why, I guess it's just something producers feel they need to do because it's always been done.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Got to see Real Madrid and Arsenal play their friendly when they came to town today. Being able to see Arsenal play in person was a treat, and the atmosphere was great.

Also felt otherworldly seeing Zidane in person, even from the other side of the stadium :pope:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

So they were playing properly?
When I've seen pre season friendlies in the past you could tell they were only a step above training ground matches.

Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2019, 07:00:35 PM
Apparently Trump was very upset with Fox about that  :D
https://deadspin.com/report-president-salty-over-soccer-fans-1836208794

Whats with this word salty?
It seems to have suddenly arisen this last year or two.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 23, 2019, 10:02:23 PMAlso felt otherworldly seeing Zidane in person, even from the other side of the stadium :pope:

And he did not even headbutt you!  :P

FunkMonk

Quote from: Tyr on July 24, 2019, 04:47:02 AM
So they were playing properly?
When I've seen pre season friendlies in the past you could tell they were only a step above training ground matches.

Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2019, 07:00:35 PM
Apparently Trump was very upset with Fox about that  :D
https://deadspin.com/report-president-salty-over-soccer-fans-1836208794

It was definitely a glorified practice at first, though there were 2 red cards shown and both sides went down to 10 men in the first half  :lol:

The ref was a bit shit and showed two yellows to both players when I think a stern talking to was all that was needed instead of a yellow.

One of the Real Madrid players got carted off with an injury and the game got a little scrappy in the second half, too. It was drawn 2-2 at full time but apparently there had to be a winner so they went to penalties to decide it  :lol:

All in all, it was really fun for those of us across the pond who will likely never see these players in person in full form in the league.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on July 24, 2019, 04:47:02 AM

It means upset.  Salt has been rubbed in your wounds.

Josephus

Looks like Rooney's time in the US of A is over at the end of this year...he's heading back to Blighty to play for the mighty Derby (I tried to do a rhyming thing there)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011