News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Unsurprisingly, Brazil won vs Peru 3-1 in the Copa América Final.
Better performance than expected all in all for Peru, which managed to scare Brazil at times.

KRonn

Congrats USA on the win for first! :) Also congrats to The Netherlands and Sweden.   :cheers:

crazy canuck

I was surprised by the total domination.  Well deserved by the US side.

edit:  should add that second goal was a thing of beauty.

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 07, 2019, 05:39:56 PM
I was surprised by the total domination.  Well deserved by the US side.

edit:  should add that second goal was a thing of beauty.

Agreed, on the second goal. Nicely timed and placed with a defender or two around her.

FunkMonk

Men's team cock it up and lose to perennial rivals Mexico 1 - 0 in the Cup no one cares about but actual fans of soccer.

At least the women are good.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 07, 2019, 10:19:15 PM
Men's team cock it up and lose to perennial rivals Mexico 1 - 0 in the Cup no one cares about but actual fans of soccer.

Careful about the Cup no ones cares. It may apply as well to the Women's Football World Cup.  :P
Over here, once the national squad got out, the hype ended suddenly. Maybe Platini should have tricked the drawing of the groups and competition as in 1998, to avoid France and Brazil clashing early on. Not possible until the final if both teams were first of their respective groups.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/18/michel-platini-world-cup-1998-brazil-france-draw-trickery

Since nobody spoke of Africa's Cup of Nations, any victory of a team with a sizable immigrant community in France meant a lot more noise in Paris than usual.  :P

PS: A round of 16 3-0 victory against Guinea (!) by the Algerian squad was enough to create traffic jams around the Arc de Triomphe and Champs-Élysées.  :D

Josephus

That the U.S. women are indominatable is undeniable. It's just heir cockiness that annoys people. But they deserve their accolades.

I think their total domination will end soon though. The game is picking up in Europe. England, Netherlands, France and Spain have burgeoning leagues of their own and this can only be good for the game.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

I am glad to hear soccer is finally catching on in Europe. Maybe some day they can be as good as the US.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

We have a men's team?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 09:38:10 AM

We have a men's team?

yes, and I hate them. I was in vegas when they played Portugal for the 2014 world cup. I was mightily annoyed
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 09:40:28 AM
yes, and I hate them. I was in vegas when they played Portugal for the 2014 world cup. I was mightily annoyed

Why? Portugal didn't lose :P

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 09:41:53 AM

didn't win either :D

Plus I was surrounded by USA chanters haha
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 09:42:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 09:41:53 AM

didn't win either :D

Plus I was surrounded by USA chanters haha

I still remember PDH's annoyance after the extra time equalizer by Cristiano Ronaldo Varela. I bet the chanters were pissed off too. ;)

PS: assist, at most by Ronaldo

Valmy

I believe, I believe, I believe that we will tie!