News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

A couple of sick nasty goals to start off ENG-USA.

Turns out sometimes football is actually good and fun to watch.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

About time, the overhype here made the poor refereeing, the not-so interesting games even worse than usual.

merithyn

I love how the US women's team is "arrogant" in most news reports rather than confidant.   :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

HVC

Didn't they taunt the thai team until they cried? Seems arrogant :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on July 02, 2019, 02:57:26 PM
I love how the US women's team is "arrogant" in most news reports rather than confidant.   :rolleyes:

The Patriots are also arrogant. It just means you are awesome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 02, 2019, 02:53:12 PM
About time, the overhype here made the poor refereeing, the not-so interesting games even worse than usual.

There have been a couple good matches. This one is looking good as well.

Not as ballistic as last year, though. I still see Pavard's goal when I close my eyes sometimes.

Threviel

I was rooting for England, but it was a deserved victory for the US. And VAR is boring.

Admiral Yi

The tea sipping thing won't help the arrogant narrative. 

Threviel

What was that again? Did they mock the english after winning? That's just bad sportsmanship.

FunkMonk

I don't mind the American women coming off as arrogant. When you're the best team in the world, a certain amount of arrogance is expected, even necessary.

I wish the Men's team was half as arrogant as the Women's side.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 02, 2019, 04:05:22 PM
I don't mind the American women coming off as arrogant. When you're the best team in the world, a certain amount of arrogance is expected, even necessary.

The best team in the world has been squeaking out one goal wins.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Threviel on July 02, 2019, 04:00:46 PM
I was rooting for England, but it was a deserved victory for the US. And VAR is boring.

England played well, had one goal disallowed on a close call and missed a PK, could easily have gone the other way.

I was rooting for the yanks until I saw the tea sipping - low class move.

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 02, 2019, 04:05:22 PM

The Yanks don't have much to be arrogant about in this tournament.  If not for VAR they would have lost to Spain and would have gone into extra time in this game.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on July 02, 2019, 02:57:26 PM

One can be confident without taunting the other team.  The American side doesn't seem to understand that distinction.

FunkMonk

I understand why people are bothered by their arrogance. I'm just saying their arrogance doesn't bother me.  They're still the best team in the world, until they lose to the Netherlands on penalties in the final.

Threviel

We can only hope. Bad sportsmanship is annoying and never justified. If you are are the best you have no need to be mean, and if you are mean, well, fuck you. Bad winners deserve to lose, just a shame that the world rarely is that poetic.