News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 25, 2019, 08:35:24 AM
I disagree, they are using it properly. At every occasion.

I guess the teams you support were advantaged by VAR.  :P

Grey Fox

If you have the technology you must use it, at every occasion. If it's detrimental to the sports, change the rules that are leading to Replays.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 25, 2019, 01:40:07 PM
If you have the technology you must use it, at every occasion. If it's detrimental to the sports, change the rules that are leading to Replays.

Shame you can't change the enforcement of rules during the game when the referee is not up for the game.

Grey Fox

That's true for every referee in the entire history of FIFA being not up for the game.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 25, 2019, 01:52:25 PM
That's true for every referee in the entire history of FIFA being not up for the game.

Except Var makes it even worse. Not to mention that some changes in the rules have been detrimental to the game cf. penalties.

Grey Fox

How is letting the sole ref who's stuck running around being taken for a foul by 22 assholes look at replays worse than not letting the ref do that?

Duque de Bragança

Easy, if the referee is bad as in selectively enforcing game rules (penalty with France for instance), you don't get game disruption without video-refereeing, just the bad call.  :P

Grey Fox

Ahhh, I think I understand a basic difference here. I don't see VAR disruption, or any disruption really, has a negative.

Actually, I feel that soccer should learn to handle their stoppage in play better.

Josephus

Well Canada's women and now the men bow out disgracefully.

Canada's men 2-0 up over Haiti at half-time and manage to lose 3-2. :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Spain just won the U-21 Euro, defeating Germany 2-1 in the final.  :w00t:

Duque de Bragança

No love for the Copa América ?

Argentina, after a very bad start, made it to the semi-finals:
Argentina 2 Venezuela

Brazil too, painfully though
Brazil 0 Paraguay (4-3 on penalties end of a curse for Brazil)

Chile on penalties again, vs Colombia, very hyped in the beginning after a very good group phase
Chile 0 Colombia (5-4 penalties)

Last upset, Uruguay out!

Uruguay 0 Peru 0 (penalties again 4-5)

If you are wondering why there are so many penalty kick battles, that's because there is no overtime after regulation time, straight to penalties. I don't like it much, as far as I am concerned.

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 01, 2019, 03:55:16 AM

Nope, there's no love for anything not EC or WC, but we do get a little coverage of the women's WC and the final of the U21 got a mention but only because of missed brutal tackle that should've been a red card.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on July 01, 2019, 04:02:06 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 01, 2019, 03:55:16 AM

Nope, there's no love for anything not EC or WC, but we do get a little coverage of the women's WC and the final of the U21 got a mention but only because of missed brutal tackle that should've been a red card.

Euro U21 was nice to watch though, some nice goals there like the trivela during Spain-France.

Women's WC was way overhyped over here, and now that the French squad is out, it's back to anonymity.

katmai

yeah sadly copa is playing backseat to gold cup and Women's world cup here in states, i think only telemundo network is showing Copa, where FOX and it's sports networks are broadcasting the other two competitions.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Threviel

So... Is football coming home?