News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on June 18, 2019, 05:44:03 PM
There are pretty strict rules in football regarding nationality. You can't just fake a nationality and play for whatever team you like.

I'm not talking about fraud; I'm talking about those "my grandfather was born there" deals.

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Platini detained on corruption suspicions.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2019, 04:04:58 PM
I didn't realize the goalie only had to keep one foot.  I might agree then about the shoddy call.

It's one of five or six new rules being used in this WC that will be implemented in leagues starting next season. A few others off the top of my head: In a direct free kick, attacking players are no longer allowed to be in the defensive wall. During a substitution, outgoing players do not have to walk to the middle of the field to be substituted
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2019, 05:47:35 PM
Quote from: Liep on June 18, 2019, 05:44:03 PM
There are pretty strict rules in football regarding nationality. You can't just fake a nationality and play for whatever team you like.

I'm not talking about fraud; I'm talking about those "my grandfather was born there" deals.

Actually, you can. In youth teams that is.  :smarty:
Lots of bi-nationals when they cannot play in the country they live suddenly rediscover their heritage.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2019, 06:55:30 PM
Platini detained on corruption suspicions.

I am shocked, shocked to find corruption is going on at FIFA!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2019, 05:35:46 PM
I wonder if the white Jamaican chicks are real Jamaicans or fake Jamaicans.

Let's see :

Sydney Schneider ; Goalkeeper, 19. Born in New Jersey. She qualifies to play soccer for 3 countries: US(birthplace), Germany(dad's birthplace) & Jamaica(maternal grandparents birthplace).

Havana Solaun ; Midfielder, 26. Born in Hong Kong. She qualifies to play for 4 countries : Hong Kong(birthplace), US(Dad), Cuba(Dad) & Jamaica(mom).

Lauren Fielder ; Midfielder, 26, Born in the US, She qualifies to play for 2 countries : US(birthplace), Jamaica(maternal grandfather).
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

How does her dad qualify her to play for both Cuba and the US?

Syt

Hell, we had brothers Kevin Prince Boateng and Jerome Boateng playing for different countries (Ghana and Germany, respectively)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: dps on June 19, 2019, 09:12:05 AM

He's apparently from there, got American citizenship after the emigrating. I'm guessing she would also qualify for Cuba based on a paternal grandparents if her dad didn't qualify her.

It happens all the time for Canada's men team. Our best player, Alphonso Davies is from a Liberian refugee camp in Ghana. Altho, he did grow up in Edmonton.
Or our Captain, Scott Arfield. Dude's Scottish. I don't think he's ever been to Canada without also being there for a National team match.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: dps on June 19, 2019, 09:12:05 AM

Miami?  :P

Josquius

There was once a time where Ireland was known as the England reserve team due to the amount of people qualifying via grandparents.

It's pretty interesting stuff really, the rules are really drawn from another era where a Frenchman was a Frenchman was a Frenchman, but these days with the increase in mixed race people, migration, etc.... things are quite messed up.
There's been a few interesting stories of countries battling each other for the services of promising youngsters.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Barrister

A lot of lower-ranked hockey federations wind up using mostly Canadians with some sort of tie to their country.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

More Copa América fun!

Brazil tied 0-0 with Venezuela!
Argentina 1-1 with Paraguay.

So the first place is no longer guaranteed for Brazil, and Argentina could be out in the group phase, unless they win against... Qatar!  :D Messi scored a penalty, before you ask. Qatar lost his second game but did a good impression on his first, a tie with Paraguay.