News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Southampton - Pompey has always been a 'decent' one here.  :bowler:

Pity they're not often in the same league nowadays.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Learned about a new "derby" today from Football Manager, 'Derby delle Due Sicilie' is a Napoli - Parlermo match.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maladict

Liep

How an entire stadium can boo Ronaldo and cheer for Diego Costa is beyond me.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on February 20, 2019, 03:57:32 PM
How an entire stadium can boo Ronaldo and cheer for Diego Costa is beyond me.

It's Atlético fans, that explains everything.

Liep

I don't like VAR but mostly I don't like that it gives the players one more thing to cry to the ref about. Yellow card to any player who gets within one meter of the ref to complain.

Liep

2nd penalty in the City game: there was offside before the penalty, how is it still a penalty when you can review it with VAR?

The Larch

Chelsea hit with a two window-transfer ban for irregularities int he signing of international underage players. Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

Tamas

FU :P

Good to know FIFA still fights the good fight against breaking the rules, and corruption.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on February 22, 2019, 07:01:11 AM
FU :P

Good to know FIFA still fights the good fight against breaking the rules, and corruption.

If it puts an end to Chelsea's shameful strategy of hoarding young players just to loan them out and eventually sell them, it'll be for the greater good.  :P

Edit: For the record: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_F.C.#Out_on_loan. That's 42 players from Chelsea currently on loan in other clubs. You can maybe scratch a couple of them off, as those loans are parts of arrangements for transfers of senior team players (Pulisic or Morata, for instance), but the vast majority of them are basically the result of a strategy of gaming the system.

For comparison, Arsenal has 9 players out on loan, Liverpool 13 (already a lot, IMO), Man City 6 and Man Utd 3.

I wouldn't mind if the cases of Spanish teams are looked into, lest I be accused of bias. Real Madrid have currently 25 players on loan, which is also well into outrageous territory. I checked other European top teams and apparently only Juventus, with 47 (!!!) players currently on loan has Chelsea beaten in that regard.

Tamas

If it forces them to actually use some of those players then yes I agree. But I am afraid they'll just sulk and sink. Especially with Sarri in charge.

I am really turning against that guy. They managed to score some goals against a weak Malmo after they went down to 10 men. This coincided with Jorginho, his BFF, coming in from the bench. So post-match, Sarri was all "see I told you we need him".

Grey Fox

What's the issue with having 40+ players on loan?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 22, 2019, 08:04:14 AM
What's the issue with having 40+ players on loan?

That's not the issue. The issue is that Chelsea are breaking the rules regarding signing internationals under the age of 18. The 40 players on loan is the result of the issue, and the reason they do it
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011