News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Tyr on October 03, 2018, 02:49:14 PM
What is it with Eastern Europe and hooliganism?

Says the Brit :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I've been told in Poland normal people never go anywhere near football stadiums at match time as its just for hooligans.

https://www.tvn24.pl/tvn24-news-in-english,157,m/leader-of-dangerous-gang-and-of-wisla-krakow-hooligans-detained-in-italy,872593.html

The "Sharks" hooligan gang are basically running the club according to a controversial Polish documentary a few weeks ago.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on October 03, 2018, 03:05:20 PM
What is it with Eastern Europe and hooliganism?

Says the Brit :lol:

I was born in the 80s.
I know only post hooligan times.
Our modern hooligans, despite the movies, are small scale and don't usually ruin normal peoples enjoyment.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2018, 12:29:16 AM
I was born in the 80s.
Our modern hooligans, despite the movies, are small scale and don't usually ruin normal peoples enjoyment.

One success of the Thatcherite Revolution.  Essex Boys are now part of the property class.

Josephus

It was really bad in the 80s, English hooliganism. I remember talking to people then who, despite being football fans, wouldn't step near a stadium. It's cleaned up very well since. I know other countries trying to clean up their own act, refer to it as the English model.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

The English were pretty notorious abroad up until the recent EC in France where they were decisively defeated by their Russian rivals, shuttering their renown.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2018, 12:29:16 AMOur modern hooligans, despite the movies, are small scale and don't usually ruin normal peoples enjoyment.

That's because they've been priced out of modern football and why they're more common in lower divisions nowadays. The Premier League era is totally corporate and middle class, while the hooligan era was much more working class.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 05, 2018, 02:39:26 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2018, 12:29:16 AM
I was born in the 80s.

One success of the Thatcherite Revolution.  Essex Boys are now part of the property class.

MDMA and rave culture killed off hooliganism

Maladict

Bloody hell, the national team won a match. Against our friendly neighbours to the east no less.
They must be in deep trouble.

Josephus

Ah yes, the "what if we invented a new tournament and no one cared?" game.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maladict

Quote from: Josephus on October 13, 2018, 09:16:29 PM
Ah yes, the "what if we invented a new tournament and no one cared?" game.

Yeah that one  :)
I didn't even know about the match until after it ended.

celedhring

To be frank, I'm liking this League of Nations thing more than I expected. It adds a little spice to otherwise utterly meaningless friendlies.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on October 14, 2018, 09:55:39 AM
To be frank, I'm liking this League of Nations thing more than I expected. It adds a little spice to otherwise utterly meaningless friendlies.

:yes:

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on October 05, 2018, 10:26:21 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 05, 2018, 12:29:16 AMOur modern hooligans, despite the movies, are small scale and don't usually ruin normal peoples enjoyment.

That's because they've been priced out of modern football and why they're more common in lower divisions nowadays. The Premier League era is totally corporate and middle class, while the hooligan era was much more working class.

They still exist with the top teams. Though they're very under the radar.
Its weird stuff apparently, they're all in contact with each other and you'll get the boss of the visiting team's firm phoning the boss of the home team's firm to announce how many people he has brought with him and arrange a place for a fight.
The police's reaction to it all is crap, they pick on all fans rather than just the trouble makers. I'm hoping to get to a few away games this year though friends who've done it before tell me of being forced to drink a few towns away before the match and it all being super stage managed.
██████
██████
██████