News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Can't deny it was fun but then I have attended other events of the same kind.

Back to Rabiot, now the French government spokesman even spoke of the "issue".   :lol:
Ah, politicians looking for a diversion. :D

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 23, 2018, 11:03:26 AM

Man you just don't stop do you? :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2018, 11:09:34 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 23, 2018, 11:03:26 AM

Man you just don't stop do you? :lol:

I realise it's much harder for you to have a basis of comparison since you live on the other side of the Atlantic, but chaos? Come on.
OTOH, football fervor is more of a thing in the Low Countries than in France, though far from the crazyness of South America.

Besides, as Renard Gris just discovered, Footix(erie) is an insult in France nowadays, since '98.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 23, 2018, 11:25:16 AM
I realise it's much harder for you to have a basis of comparison since you live on the other side of the Atlantic, but chaos? Come on.
OTOH, football fervor is more of a thing in the Low Countries than in France, though far from the crazyness of South America.

Besides, as Renard Gris just discovered, Footix(erie) is an insult in France nowadays, since '98.  :P

I was not being literal. I just enjoy sporting events of all sorts. I mean yeah I didn't get beaten up by any English Hooligans and no Central American wars were declared but I enjoyed all the hubbub. I liked just hanging out and trash talking with the Brazilians and Croatians in 1998.

But Texans and people from Austin especially are rather chill. People from Chicago and other places in the Midwest come here and are really disappointed about how lame we are about our sports. 'I thought you people were fanatical about football? What is this crap?' 'We are fanatical...on the inside.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2018, 06:59:35 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 23, 2018, 11:25:16 AM

I was not being literal. I just enjoy sporting events of all sorts. I mean yeah I didn't get beaten up by any English Hooligans and no Central American wars were declared but I enjoyed all the hubbub. I liked just hanging out and trash talking with the Brazilians and Croatians in 1998.

But Texans and people from Austin especially are rather chill. People from Chicago and other places in the Midwest come here and are really disappointed about how lame we are about our sports. 'I thought you people were fanatical about football? What is this crap?' 'We are fanatical...on the inside.'

Trash talking chaos? ;) Yeah, hanging around in a boar, or in the train, while having a glass or two on the way to the next game is great, with the international ambient. That Lebanese cheering for Côte d'Ivoire was interesting. ;) He had gone native and seemed convinced of marabouts/bad spirits in football when asked about it, retorted with "you bloody cartesian European/French people!". Drunk Welshmen in the métro bring a lot of passion and actually become more articulate when speaking about football, as I mentioned once in this forum, during the EURO 2016. Yes, Amsterdam was great in the Euro 2000 to hang around!
If Texans and people from Ausin are more chill than French people about people, then it's worse than I though.  :P Then again, it is a region thing, people in Saint-Étienne or Lens (working class cities) care a lot more. Marseille also likes it a lot, though the working-class factor is not as important.

Paris is awful, French fans only wake up after quarter or semi-finals, be it in 98 or 2016. Only around the train stations or fan zones there was some kind of football fever. City is bigger of course, but not that big for an European capital.

PS: speaking of which, these long train rides, i.e 40h between Moscow and Sochi, have potential.  :P Chai/ча́я in the morning, then...

Tamas

Very much NOT in the spirit of the times, a minor Hungarian TV station will continue a tradition started during the last international football competition (IIRC): during the half-time breaks, teams of scantly-clad ladies "representing" the real teams playing, will have a penalty shootout contest:

http://indavideo.hu/video/Bunteto8

I must say, the level of quality will have trouble living up to Internet standards:

http://comment.blog.hu/#gallery-1527156949_1

derspiess

Looks like Cincinnati's USL team will be moving up to MLS.  To be announced next Tuesday.  The team has been drawing more fans than a lot of MLS teams and has plans to build a new stadium.  Hopefully the hipster fans won't get jaded and stop going.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2018, 11:06:20 AM
Very much NOT in the spirit of the times, a minor Hungarian TV station will continue a tradition started during the last international football competition (IIRC): during the half-time breaks, teams of scantly-clad ladies "representing" the real teams playing, will have a penalty shootout contest:

http://indavideo.hu/video/Bunteto8

Best use of the Chariots of Fire theme since the film.  :D

Duque de Bragança

World Cup trash talking has started!

https://www.thestatesman.com/sports/2018-fifa-world-cup-denmark-coach-slams-france-paul-pogba-1502640331.html

Pogba ridiculed, again!

QuoteDenmark coach Age Hareide gave a withering assessment of his World Cup first-round rivals France claiming they have no real leader and have little chance in Russia.

"I don't believe in this team," Hareide told Danish daily Jyllands-Posten, a month ahead of their June 26 game in Russia.

"They are nothing special," he said.

"They don't have a leader such as Zinedine Zidane to lead them, someone who knew how to galvanise them
," said the Norwegian who has been Denmark coach for three years.

DON'T MISS | Holland, Inter Milan icon Aron Winter has India in his sights

"They need to play as a team."

The 64-year-old singled out Manchester United's Paul Pogba for criticism — over his flashy haircuts.

"He played against Manchester City with his hair dyed blue and white, maybe he'll have it red and white to play us." "Good grief, does he only think about his haircuts?" asked the coach.

A bit harsh, but he seems to ignore Deschamps' legendary luck ™la chatte à Dédé™, which already got Peru's Paolo Guerrero out of the way. I thought Peru would be the main obstacle for the French squad now maybe Denmark, yeah. I expect Peru to play with more grinta, of course.

Grey Fox

France had also no chance & bad team with an aging Zidane in 2006 & they team made the final.

It's the WC, anything can happen until Germany or Brazil wins.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 25, 2018, 07:04:48 AM
France had also no chance & bad team with an aging Zidane in 2006 & they team made the final.

i am tempted to put money on Russia reaching the final.

Grey Fox

Couldn't do it for the Olympics in 2014, not doing it this year either.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 25, 2018, 07:12:35 AM

It's the FIFA World Cup in Russia, mate.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 25, 2018, 07:04:48 AM

Well, there was a bit of trash talking before the game vs Spain but nothing like that. Then after a slow start, they made it with some wrong calls in France's favor which really really helped them.
OTOH, in 2002 they saw themselves as having won before playing (two stars in the jersey) and did not leave the group phase.

Thanks, but I must have into account that Spain is a favourite too.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on May 25, 2018, 07:14:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 25, 2018, 07:12:35 AM

It's the FIFA World Cup in Russia, mate.

Enough to beat Saudia Arabia sure, but Uruguay? Maybe Egypt, Salah may not be enough.