News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Well we are certainly not building them one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 17, 2017, 08:07:23 PM
Looks like Val will get the Columbus team in Austin in a few years. Columbus is balking at a taxpayer funded stadium downtown.

The old stadium is a whole 18 years old.

MLS owners are almost as bad as NFL owners. Makes sense considering some of them own NFL teams too.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

Columbus stadium is too small tho. Pitch wise.

I applaud Columbus's stand. These owners can build their own stadium.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Of course we have no pitch for them to play on. Our lower tier soccer club played at a High School football stadium and I don't mean some Friday Night Lights gold plated thing, a big city High School Stadium, built in the 60s that nobody gives a shit about. So I have to question their wisdom here. But they might be able to get Round Rock to pay for it, those people have more dollars than sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

Never ceases to amaze how American football and European football are opposites of the societies in which they reside.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2017, 11:49:38 AM
Never ceases to amaze how American football and European football are opposites of the societies in which they reside.

Please explain--i don't follow.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2017, 10:28:53 AM
Of course we have no pitch for them to play on. Our lower tier soccer club played at a High School football stadium and I don't mean some Friday Night Lights gold plated thing, a big city High School Stadium, built in the 60s that nobody gives a shit about. So I have to question their wisdom here. But they might be able to get Round Rock to pay for it, those people have more dollars than sense.

When I was a kid my team would often drive up to Round Rock for youth games. We always clowned on them lol

FunkMonk

It is odd. Pay for play is king here so the "elite" youth teams are the reserve of rich suburban folk while poor black and brown kids dream of playing football or basketball instead of soccer.

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on October 19, 2017, 12:15:07 PM

Please explain--i don't follow.

European football is very free market. Anyone can theoretically utterly collapse into oblivion or rise from nothing to the top.

American football is very controlled. A closed market where the best remain the best and there can never be change.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

That's true for all American sports

Regulation/Promotion systems are stupid.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2017, 02:07:32 PM

American football is very controlled. A closed market where the best remain the best and there can never be change.

Our (original) leagues were formed by alliances of clubs (or rather groups of men willing to invest in clubs). They wouldn't have come together if their financial futures were going to be determined by something like actual performance on the field.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2017, 11:03:08 AM
Our (original) leagues were formed by alliances of clubs (or rather groups of men willing to invest in clubs). They wouldn't have come together if their financial futures were going to be determined by something like actual performance on the field.

Pretty sure that's the same in Europe. I expect the difference is that there were significantly more clubs, and that most of them were associations of amateur enthusiasts (rather than businesses hiring professionals) at the time the leagues formed.

Valmy

If they were associations of amateur enthusiasts then that is not the same.

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2017, 11:03:08 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2017, 02:07:32 PM

Then why are businesses (including American ones) willing to invest in European football clubs where that risk exists?(

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on October 20, 2017, 12:49:19 PM
Then why are businesses (including American ones) willing to invest in European football clubs where that risk exists?(

Investing in an existing and proven to be profitable system is different from starting one from scratch, especially in the far more shaky sports business atmosphere of the 1870s, 1920s, and 1940s. Back then clubs were doing good to simply be financially solvent year to year.