News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

For what I read in a profile on him in Portuguese media after the 2016 Euro (http://expresso.sapo.pt/desporto/2016-07-26-Ola-eu-sou-o-Eder--nao-ponham-acento-que-nao-e-fixe--e-esta-e-a-minha-historia), he has a bit of a sad story. He was born in Guinea Bissau but his family moved to Portugal when he was 3. He grew up first in Braga and then Coimbra, and at some point there his parents gave him up for economic reasons and he was raised in a center for orphan kids. He says that, despite being without many other black kids around him those days, he never experienced any racism but says that it was probably because he was very popular and a good football player for the local teams.

He speaks afterwards of starting to support his mother (doesn't say if biological or adoptive) when he signed his first professional contract, and that the hardship in which he lived growing up has made him save a lot of his money and plan a lot what he buys (he says that, differently than other players that change to a different car every year, even nowadays [summer 2016] he still drives the same car he bought back in 2010), so that his future kids can live an easier life than him.

Apparently he has a bit of a rut some years ago because of injury issues and bad spells of play, but credits very highly his psychologist to help him get out of that dark period in which he considered retirement. He's also apparently very religious.

He says that after scoring in the Euro final he started receiving way much more attention that he was used to, and that nowadays he's more reserved than what he used to be when he was younger.

Pic from the wedding from one of the guests' Instagram account:

Jacob

Quote from: The Larch on July 20, 2017, 12:16:16 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2017, 12:09:14 PM
One of my colleagues returned from a wedding in Europe where his cousin married a Portuguese football player. Apparently he's the guy who scored the winning goal in the Euro 2016 final.

What can you tell me about him?

Éder?

Yeah that's him. And I'm guessing that that's my colleague's cousin.

He said the wedding was a bit crazy, as I guess is to be expected...

dps

Jacob's colleague's cousin ain't bad looking.

The Larch

Quote from: dps on July 20, 2017, 01:27:14 PM
Jacob's colleague's cousin ain't bad looking.

She's described as "Belgian model" in the newspapers, so that's a bit of a given, I guess.  :lol:

Jacob

Quote from: The Larch on July 20, 2017, 01:28:10 PM
She's described as "Belgian model" in the newspapers, so that's a bit of a given, I guess.  :lol:

My colleague is Belgian! So that seems to corroborate his story.

Duque de Bragança

Éder's story has been described as the ugly duckling story since the Euro 2016. Not a great n° 9, more of a centre-forward rather than a pure striker, mocked or criticized by the sport press and Portuguese football fans before that. Subsequently, a webpage and/or a Facebook page was created so people could apologize to Éder.
A bad season in France (!) followed afterwards, being the Euro final scorer he was consistently booed by the French butt hurt brigade. They could have taken some solace or pride to see the Final Euro 2016 goal was scored by a Ligue 1 but no. :( 
Last time I heard, Bielsa, the new Lille coach does not want to keep him.
This bad season, along with the appearance at last of a real 9, André Silva, prevented him from being called by Santos for the Selecção.

Valmy

Is looking mildly annoyed how Euros do wedding pictures?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2017, 03:56:26 PM
Is looking mildly annoyed how Euros do wedding pictures?

It's an instagram shot by a guest, so... no?

Jacob

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 20, 2017, 03:54:59 PM
Éder's story has been described as the ugly duckling story since the Euro 2016. Not a great n° 9, more of a centre-forward rather than a pure striker, mocked or criticized by the sport press and Portuguese football fans before that. Subsequently, a webpage and/or a Facebook page was created so people could apologize to Éder.
A bad season in France (!) followed afterwards, being the Euro final scorer he was consistently booed by the French butt hurt brigade. They could have taken some solace or pride to see the Final Euro 2016 goal was scored by a Ligue 1 but no. :( 
Last time I heard, Bielsa, the new Lille coach does not want to keep him.
This bad season, along with the appearance at last of a real 9, André Silva, prevented him from being called by Santos for the Selecção.

Interesting. Thanks for th details :)

Valmy

The US won the CONCACAF championship yesterday by beating Jamaica. So in your face Canada and Mexico!

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Women's Euro Cup is on, who cares about CONCACAF??!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Quote from: Liep on July 27, 2017, 12:01:37 PM
Women's Euro Cup is on, who cares about CONCACAF??!

CONCACAF based fans?

Fuck you, Bruce Arena.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

We really need new uniforms.  :(

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

With two Toronto FC players in the starting XI
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011