And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: PDH on September 28, 2018, 05:09:44 PM
18c is what it got up to here today.

About the same here today, but without the beach babes and David Lee Roth doing a pastiche to camera. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Cool and rainy off and on this week. Will clear up for the weekend but more rain early next week.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 13, 2018, 12:49:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2018, 09:16:52 AM
The storms in the gulf are making it rain continuously here in central Texas. I mean sure this might eventually mean the gulf communities get destroyed by a storm again but this is really screwing with the Little League baseball season :weep:

But great for the always-struggling Texas aquifers though, right?  :P

I don't know man. Flooding is causing tons of damage every year now.

It is possible that now we have a rainy season in late summer/early fall to go along with hurricane season annually now, which would be a pretty huge change. Climate change at work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Five straight days of rain in the forecast.  Spect some rivers will run their banks.

Valmy

So it was 7C all day yesterday and rainy and windy. This after I was sweating on Sunday working outside. Today it has warmed up all the way to 9C still with the rain and wind, feels like 6C.

Our normally scheduled fall is due to return by the weekend, but the constant and neverending rain is not going anywhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

It is crazy how much rain is falling on Texas by the way. We are having major flooding once again. All this climate change will at least keep us nice and wet.

I have been thinking about how in eras past Texas was at the bottom of a shallow sea...

Syt

Unseasonably warm October in Vienna. Even if November and December were way below average 2018 is in the 4 hottest years in 250+ years.

Of the hottest 20 years since records began in the 1700s, 14 have been since 2000.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on October 16, 2018, 12:10:01 PM
Unseasonably warm October in Vienna. Even if November and December were way below average 2018 is in the 4 hottest years in 250+ years.

Of the hottest 20 years since records began in the 1700s, 14 have been since 2000.

You can feel it in the air, the climate Is changing?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Its like early summer in Vancouver - 19 today; 20 tomorrow - almost shorts weather.

Valmy

At least you people get nice weather out of this climate change thing.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2018, 09:16:18 PM
At least you people get nice weather out of this climate change thing.

For parts of the year, yes.  But as a skier it is not so great.  The ski season on the local mountains is significantly shortened.  It was not so long ago that we anticipated the first snow falls on the local mountains about this time of year and in a good snow year some of the mountains would be opening in late October and most often November.  Now it is a real challenge to have enough snow for the Christmas break.  The other problem is the summers have become hot and dry.  We can now go many weeks without precipitation (remember this is supposed to be a temperate rain-forest).  As a result we now have water restrictions and we are experiencing longer and more intense forest fire seasons.

Valmy

Ok that sounds a bit worse than our two straight years of fall flooding.

KRonn

Very cool here,  was near freezing temps over night.  When I went out early this morning it felt a bit like winter. We had a quick change from warmish September temps to now  much colder.

Syt

The hottest summer on record will have some after effects. Harvests are down 15% and additional irrigation is still required. Prices for Austrian crops will go up, including grain, which means there will be more expensive beer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on October 19, 2018, 12:20:38 AM
The hottest summer on record will have some after effects. Harvests are down 15% and additional irrigation is still required. Prices for Austrian crops will go up, including grain, which means there will be more expensive beer.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/15/climate-change-to-cause-dramatic-beer-shortages-extreme-weather-price

Good news is you can move to Canada and switch to pot  :D