News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on March 05, 2018, 11:45:55 AM
You did, why he picked this time of year though...

Not as crowded off-peak.

KRonn

We're under another winter storm watch for another Nor'Easter, though not supposed to be as severe as the one we had last Friday. It should hit Wednesday night through Thursday. So far forecasters can't be sure where it will hit as to where it snows and where it's rain, but I'm possibly near the rain/snow line.

KRonn

This storm didn't have as heavy winds as the storm last week but still lots of trees down and power outages throughout New England. I haven't lost power. I received about six inches of wet snow, not too bad. Now looks like another storm Sunday-Monday.

KRonn

Probably the biggest storm so far this winter is hitting us tonight and into tomorrow. Expecting up to 18 inches or more where I am and generally across all the southern New England region with the same totals. This is going to be interesting. The area has had many power outages and I'm not sure if all the outages from last Thursday's storm are repaired. Fortunately I haven't lost power but some of my relatives had outages for several days from one or both of the previous two storms. These have all hit in a three week period with the first storm being all heavy rain causing lots of flooding.

derspiess

My uncle in WV was supposed to get 2 inches of snow last night but ended up with 16 :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2018, 05:28:15 PM
My uncle in WV was supposed to get 2 inches of snow last night but ended up with 16 :lol:

Ouch...that hurts. I guess even in Virginia and Kentucky they're getting snow. I saw the jet stream on a forecast and it went way down low along the east coast before looping up offshore. That's what's bringing cold weather from well up north to the east coast.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on March 12, 2018, 01:06:23 PM
Probably the biggest storm so far this winter is hitting us tonight and into tomorrow. Expecting up to 18 inches or more where I am and generally across all the southern New England region with the same totals. This is going to be interesting. The area has had many power outages and I'm not sure if all the outages from last Thursday's storm are repaired. Fortunately I haven't lost power but some of my relatives had outages for several days from one or both of the previous two storms. These have all hit in a three week period with the first storm being all heavy rain causing lots of flooding.

Odd, given haven't you guys just moved to daylight saving / summer time?  :D

Here we've still another 12 days before British summer time begins.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Yep, just this past weekend we moved clocks ahead one hour for daylight savings time. (Foolish, outdated idea which I hope is ended soon.) I have over a foot of snow. I was out at mid-day to make a first pass with the snow blower. Will continue snowing into the evening. I'll probably go out after dinner time and finish cleaning up the most of it, but expect to get a couple more inches of snow overnight.

Eddie Teach

Well if Florida is any indication, we're just going to have the sun overhead at 1pm.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2018, 04:18:59 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 05, 2018, 11:45:55 AM
You did, why he picked this time of year though...

Not as crowded off-peak.

Actually there's quite a few tourists now. There's some kind of cross country competition and also last weekend there was a skating event on the lake. The weather is great, the mornings are cold but it's warm during the day as it's almost always sunny. Well, not as cold.

Besides I'm here to meet Russians and there's plenty of them.

Side note, I can't access languish when I'm not on VPN and it doesn't always work here. Is Russia blocked from languish?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

I think so, so many many Russian bots.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Damn cold and windy around here so I haven't even been out walking. Wind was really heavy yesterday and just a bit lighter today. Temps in the 20sF overnight and low 30sF. I guess that's -5C to 2C.

Ed Anger

And here comes the annual March snow, designed just to fuck with me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

We're getting the fourth Nor'Easter in four weeks. Looks like my area will get up to a foot or more of snow. Just got a foot and a half last week. Just in time for tomorrow, the first day of Spring! 

Maladict

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 19, 2018, 08:39:54 PM
And here comes the annual March snow, designed just to fuck with me.

Yep. Amtrak just forced me to abandon my bike trip to Yorktown and Jamestown tomorrow  :(

Right after I finally convinced the rental guy this was something you should let a tourist do during a snow storm.