Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2018, 10:38:35 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 17, 2018, 06:39:07 PM
Spring has definitively arrived here.  :bowler:

Only very briefly. I see temps are to decline throughout the week. Really we're just currently back at early Jan temps. :D

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/19/sudden-stratospheric-warming-set-to-bring-lengthy-cold-snap-to-uk

QuoteBritain will be gripped by a potentially lengthy cold snap as sudden stratospheric warming looks poised to cause temperatures to tumble.

Forecasters have warned that the meteorological event has disturbed the jet stream – allowing chilly winds from eastern Europe to blast the UK – and could last well into March.

The Met Office spokesman Oli Claydon said the highs of 14C expected on Monday would be short-lived and that temperatures would "slowly ramp down through the week".

He said sudden stratospheric warming was caused by a huge rise in air temperature in an area about 18 miles (30km) above the north pole.

"There is a very big, very cold pool of air that circulates around the north pole – sudden stratospheric warming, as it says on the tin, is when the stratosphere suddenly warms," he said.

"Last week, we saw that take place – a sudden jump of around 50C – so that can disturb the way that cold pool of air moves around the north pole very high up.

"That can lead in around 70% of instances to it impacting the drivers that affect our weather in northern Europe as well. So what we are seeing in this case is it disturbing the jet stream and weakening the jet stream."

This, he said, would usher out the usual wet and windy conditions, and allow high pressure to "build and dominate" over northern Europe.

From the middle of the week Claydon said this shift would allow an easterly breeze to establish and bring cold air towards Britain, with it feeling close to freezing in some parts.

"As that high pressure builds an easterly flow will start to develop and we will start getting an easterly wind and cold air moving in from eastern Europe by the time we get to the weekend," he said.

Claydon added: "These colder conditions are expected to last into next week and could be fairly prolonged, and could still be with us into the beginning of March," he said.

What happened to Brexit means Brexit? :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I guess that's why we will get high highs this week. Cold air is stuck in Europe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Predicting 70's tomorrow. Time to get the Hellcat out.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Today was like Spring time weather!  :)

Admiral Yi

Got nippy hear again.  Wind howling through the trees.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Temps going from 70F/21C today to 30sF/0-2C tomorrow and a little snow/rain, expected to be just a coating to an inch. Today was great weather second day in a row, like Springtime.

Valmy

And it is cold again. I have enjoyed this winter, it actually got cold and stayed that way for awhile. I mean cold by Texas standards I mean. Like about 40F/4.5C. It has been nice.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

This winter really kicked my ass.  Basically didn't leave the house from mid December to end of January.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/23/uk-faces-significant-snowfall-due-to-freezing-air-from-siberia

QuoteUK faces 'significant' snowfall due to freezing air from Siberia

Freezing air from Siberia is to envelop the UK next week in what could be the coldest end to the British winter for five years, bringing the risk of "significant" and "disruptive" snowfall.

The Arctic blast, which has been called "the beast from the east", will cause temperatures to plunge below zero from Sunday night, with some areas experiencing lows of -8C (17.6F), and snow forecast to fall in London and the east of England.

Due to an unusual kink in the jet stream, the freezing air will extend over the British Isles, northern Europe and western Siberia, with temperatures struggling to get above zero during the day in London, and lows of below -50C forecast in Russia.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Snowday for you tomorrow?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Been having a really fucking loud thunderstorm tonight.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Polar cold wave announced around, -5 to -10 at night, possibly -20 felt if windy in other parts of France.
No snow. :(

Grey Fox

Stay warm you unprepared Euros.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança