News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

The sun is shining :O Something it hasn't done in weeks.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

This weeks & the next will be the best 2 weeks weather wise of the entire summer. Too bad the sun's down by 7pm, already.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Maria's a category 5 with winds of 160 headed for a direct hit on Puerto Rico. :bleeding:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2017, 08:19:19 PM
Maria's a category 5 with winds of 160 headed for a direct hit on Puerto Rico. :bleeding:

Glad you're not there, do you still have extended family there?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

We're getting rain from the outer edge of the tropical storm (former hurricane) that made its way offshore up here to the north east. Supposed to get rain through at least tomorrow and get more windy but not a bad storm. Even so, a day or two ago the local news showed boaters taking boats out of the water as the ocean was getting rough from the storm's approach. 

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Maria's up to 175mph. Heading for a direct hit on Puerto Rico. There are thousands who still don't have power because of Irma's glancing blow. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: KRonn on September 19, 2017, 08:59:38 PM
We're getting rain from the outer edge of the tropical storm (former hurricane) that made its way offshore up here to the north east. Supposed to get rain through at least tomorrow and get more windy but not a bad storm. Even so, a day or two ago the local news showed boaters taking boats out of the water as the ocean was getting rough from the storm's approach. 

We've gotten a little rain as a result of some of these storms, but one apparent effect is higher temperatures.  Could get up to 90 this weekend :angry:

And welcome back :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Wicked hot day.  Y'all further east brace for impact.

merithyn

RAIN! First real rain storm since I got here. I know I'll be sick of it soon enough, but for now... RAIN! :yeah:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

We had our first bit of snow yesterday.  :homestar:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Weather is still REDACTED here.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

Quote from: Zanza on September 09, 2017, 05:01:50 AM
A colleague bought a house on one of those waterways in Cape Coral recently. I hope he got good insurance...

Looks like the insurance industry expects a huge collapse in property values with attendant knock-ons to the economy unless action is taken: http://riskandinsurance.com/coastal-mortgage-value-collapse/

Some choice quotes from the article:
Quote"Insurance deals with extreme weather and billions of dollars of losses, but what we are talking about is uninsured loss of fair market value that is trillions of dollars in losses and I am not talking about in 2100, I'm talking about the next mortgage cycle," said Albert Slap, president of Coastal Risk Consulting, a Florida firm that provides lot by lot modeling of flood risk.

"Forty percent of Americans live on the coast, which means you have trillions of dollars at risk for climate change that hasn't been modeled for default increases," Slap said.

In November, Sean Becketti, the chief economist for the economic and housing research group at Freddie Mac, the federally backed housing lender, co-authored a paper that documented this very risk.

The paper referenced the fact that daily high-water levels in Miami are increasing at a rate of an inch per year, much faster than the rate of global sea-level rise. Other cities along the Eastern seaboard are experiencing a 10-fold increase in the frequency of flooding, according to Freddie Mac.

"A large share of homeowners' wealth is locked up in the equity in their homes," Becketti wrote.

"If those homes become uninsurable and unmarketable, the values of the homes will plummet, perhaps to zero."

... and this is not an environmental group, but a an insurance industry organization talking about these risks.

jimmy olsen

Power out across the whole island of Puerto Rico. 3.5 million without power. :(

1 Karma Chameleon point