And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 11, 2011, 10:27:02 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2011, 09:42:40 AM
We are having one of our worst droughts in decades.  Right after one of the wettest years on record last year.

Austin had to cancel the fourth of July fireworks this year.  The threat of fires was too high.

I was looking into homes in Plano, but Texas and its water situation makes me think twice about moving down there.

Who'd have though people of our generation would be taking these issues into consideration; iirc some Australian municipalities are changing their planning strategy to take account of water resources and the fire season.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

We had a day where it was 85, but that is ok, it got down to 53 at night  :)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maximus

Heat index of 48 here. That's 118 for those of you who speak medieval.

Caliga

I think it only got up to 117 here. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Agelastus

Quote from: mongers on July 11, 2011, 10:12:16 AM
Quote from: Brazen on July 11, 2011, 09:57:32 AM
It's the same old shit as every year. A few hot days in spring, a summer that changes rapidly between warm and wet, then a late summer heatwave in September.

OMG WTF global warming etc. etc.

Aren't you confusing weather with climate ?  :hmm:

Besides which country were you in this spring ? Because we've had an extraordinarily warm and dry spring, not just a "few hot days"

I must confess that I hadn't noticed it being either particularly warmer than the average or dryer than the average where I live in the middle of the country getting the dregs of the weatherfronts that have already hit everyone else.

I'll also note that I don't recall many/any news stories about hosepipe bans this year; just a few mutterings that farmers may have to stop watering crops. Am I missing something due to the alleged excess heat making me sleepy or something?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

More than an inch of rain yesterday, more than 2.5 today.  :yuk:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: Agelastus on July 11, 2011, 07:39:37 PM
It's the same old shit as every year. A few hot days in spring, a summer that changes rapidly between warm and wet, then a late summer heatwave in September.

Besides which country were you in this spring ? Because we've had an extraordinarily warm and dry spring, not just a "few hot days"

I must confess that I hadn't noticed it being either particularly warmer than the average or dryer than the average where I live in the middle of the country getting the dregs of the weatherfronts that have already hit everyone else.

I'll also note that I don't recall many/any news stories about hosepipe bans this year; just a few mutterings that farmers may have to stop watering crops. Am I missing something due to the alleged excess heat making me sleepy or something?

We'll something is affecting you're reasoning.  :P

We were talking about the spring, you know the season before the one we're in now; no idea if June/July have been warmer or cooler than average so far. 

Anecdotally I'd say its been pretty dry in central southern England, the river outside my front door doesn't seem to be flowing, looks more more like a pond.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Averaging a blistering 70 degrees (F) here in the Puget Sound. :)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Was sunny and 60's most of weekend, was fantastic.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Stonewall

Mid 90's since March.  Will stay that way until mid October.  The killer is the humidity.  Ugh. 
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

Agelastus

Quote from: mongers on July 11, 2011, 08:14:53 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on July 11, 2011, 07:39:37 PM

We'll something is affecting you're reasoning.  :P

We were talking about the spring, you know the season before the one we're in now; no idea if June/July have been warmer or cooler than average so far. 

Anecdotally I'd say its been pretty dry in central southern England, the river outside my front door doesn't seem to be flowing, looks more more like a pond.  <_<

:contract:

And surprise, surprise, I was talking about Spring as well - 'cause that's when they first start talking about hosepipe bans being "almost certain" even if they don't impose them until full summer. Spring's when they can tell how well replenished the water table has been by Autumn/Winter.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 11, 2011, 10:27:02 AM
I was looking into homes in Plano, but Texas and its water situation makes me think twice about moving down there.

So glad the word is getting out.  The water situation is getting more and more critical and people just keep on moving here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

What's the situation of water in Texas?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 12, 2011, 12:26:18 PM

There is none.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Quote from: katmai on July 12, 2011, 01:06:49 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 12, 2011, 12:26:18 PM

There is none.

Deviation of the Mississippi might be a solution.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.