Are there situations when tortures are justifiable?

Started by Martinus, June 16, 2011, 04:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are there situations when tortures are justifiable?

Yes
17 (54.8%)
No
14 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Zoupa

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 16, 2011, 04:38:14 PM
I'd like to add that the persons responsible for changing Mickey D's BBQ sauce should have their toes broken.

They changed it?  :( No more mcnuggets for me  :cry:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Zoupa on June 16, 2011, 04:46:21 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 16, 2011, 04:38:14 PM
I'd like to add that the persons responsible for changing Mickey D's BBQ sauce should have their toes broken.

They changed it?  :( No more mcnuggets for me  :cry:

It seems so.

I don't know what I'm going to nibble on while the kids are in the Playland of doom. FRUIT? Please.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

I also have the feeling that by the time the month is out, my torture list will be two pages long.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

I think there are situations where tortures are justifiable.

1 - Ticking bomb situation, where torture can be used to save lives, e.g. the location of a bomb or an attack.
2 - On people who deem torture to be an acceptable activity in cases excepting the above. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on June 16, 2011, 04:50:00 PM

1 - Ticking bomb situation, where torture can be used to save lives, e.g. the location of a bomb or an attack.
2 - On people who deem torture to be an acceptable activity in cases excepting the above.

So I guess you fall under #2 then.  :hmm:

C.C.R.

Quote from: grumbler on June 16, 2011, 02:04:37 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 16, 2011, 01:36:04 PM
Torture sometimes may be necessary and the only realistic option, but it is never justifiable.
Disagree.  It is difficult to justify, but not impossible.  I don't think that it should ever be legal; I think that anyone who decides that the situation justifies torture should do so with the understanding that they will suffer the full legal penalties for torturing; if that tradeoff isn't worth it to them, then the torture wasn't justified anyway.

You just saved me a shitload of typing.  I could totally see how my sentencing at The Hague would go down:

"For the crime of shooting the victim in the knee cap with a roofing nail gun and then telling him that 'his [genitalia] is next' we hereby sentence C.C.R. to three months in prison plus time served.

"For the crime of calling us all a bunch of 'squeamish, snail eating, mayonnaise chugging, pillow biting pussies' and then proceeding to stand on the courtroom defense table and (poorly) sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' we hereby sentence C.C.R. to serve twenty years in a maximum security penitentiary with no possibility of parole."

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on June 16, 2011, 05:05:29 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 16, 2011, 04:50:00 PM

So I guess you fall under #2 then.  :hmm:
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zeus

Yes. It was good enough for Braveheart, it's good enough for me.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 16, 2011, 02:43:41 PM
Although, I guess, you can make an argument that torture should be illegal under all circumstances, since legalizing it is a very dangerous window to open, but if it is necessary, then you'll just ask someone to kamikaze themselves in a legal sense for the common good.  I'm not sure how morally justifiable that position is, and whether it opens a can of worms of its own.

Yeah...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

It's OK if my religion tells me to torture. Then you must get an exemption.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on June 17, 2011, 12:47:16 PM

Are we really bringing up the circumcision argument again?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Berkut on June 17, 2011, 01:26:03 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 17, 2011, 12:47:16 PM

Are we really bringing up the circumcision argument again?

No, he's bringing this here from the slaugherhouse thread.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on June 16, 2011, 02:43:41 PM

Although, I guess, you can make an argument that torture should be illegal under all circumstances, since legalizing it is a very dangerous window to open, but if it is necessary, then you'll just ask someone to kamikaze themselves in a legal sense for the common good.  I'm not sure how morally justifiable that position is, and whether it opens a can of worms of its own.

I believe that was McCain's position.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017