Is it time for the US to re-evaluate our commitment to NATO?

Started by Berkut, June 10, 2011, 08:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 13, 2011, 11:47:11 AM
HEY GI JOE, ME LUV YOU LONG TIME.

When you think about what must have been involved for the Vietnamese Communist Party to make what amounts to an official appeal to the US for aid, it says a hell of a lot about their likely assessment of the potential threat from China. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Warspite

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2011, 11:42:55 AM
Over the weekend, the Vietnamese foreign minister invited international intervention (including US) into the South China Sea disputes.  From a cold strategic perspective, it is likely that US attention is going to be oriented more toward the Pacific in the years to come.  Another priority is going to be the Indian Ocean and the axis of instability from the Horn of Africa through southern and eastern Arabia, Af-Paki-stan, and the central Asian republics.  At the same time resources are constrained so in order to enhance presence in one area, presence in other areas will have to be degraded.  It is obvious the Europe and the Med will have to one of those areas.  Libya is a trial run for the new reality: US interests there are zilch other than that the spice should flow.  The expectation was that this is in a European area of responsibility and is modest enough a problem that significant US support should not be necessary, but although UK & France have taken the lead and been effective, the operation has revealed the very serious shortcomings of resourcing and coordination.

From a lot of perspectives, I don't think busting up NATO makes a lot of sense, but as a gambit for Gates to get the attention of the politicians I get it.  The US can't be as involved in the European/Med area as it used to and either the European nations have to figure out a way to pick up the slack or start tolerating even higher levels of regional instability.  Popular opinion may oppose big military establishments and overseas adventures, but it also doesn't particularly care for being swamped by refugees.

For me, Gates's speech (which I welcomed) is just the latest play in the decades-old argument over burden sharing. He's right. One hopes it will give the UK and France some more political capital to spend at home securing defence budgets. I don't have much expectation that it will shift the Belgiums of Europe, however.

I think the biggest outcome so far of the Libyan intervention has actually been to kill even the fiction of "European defence". Now, it is unambiguously a Franco-British project. Perhaps a reshaped German military might provide a more significant contribution to out-of-area operations once it has completed its transition to a professional military, but I doubt it.

Given that this reorientation of US attention to the Pacific is most likely set to continue, then NATO serves a useful purpose in that it keeps, ticking over, a basic level of military interaction between the US and a number of potentially willing European partners. It's not quite as grand a project as the Soviets Out and Germans Down, but neverthless could offer a profitable outcome for a modest outlay.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

QuoteThe Bracken briefing came a day after a top British military officer admitted that the bombing campaign was straining British resources.

"If we do it for longer than six months, then we have to reprioritize our forces," Admiral Mark Stanhope said Monday.

"That does not mean we won't be doing it," he added.

lolz.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jamesww

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2011, 11:56:37 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 13, 2011, 11:47:11 AM
HEY GI JOE, ME LUV YOU LONG TIME.

When you think about what must have been involved for the Vietnamese Communist Party to make what amounts to an official appeal to the US for aid, it says a hell of a lot about their likely assessment of the potential threat from China.

They knew all about that by 1979.

Jacob

It is obvious the Europe and the Med will have to one of those areas.  Libya is a trial run for the new reality: US interests there are zilch other than that the spice should flow.

What would you say are the US' main interests in the Pacific, and how are they different from their interests in Europe?

I've seen it repeated fairly regularly that the US' attention ought to shift and is shifting away from Europe and towards the Pacific, but I don't recall too much about why that's the case. I mean, there's a lot that boils down to "keeping China from getting too uppity", but that's a means to an end, not an end in itself right?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Warspite on June 13, 2011, 12:18:53 PM
Given that this reorientation of US attention to the Pacific is most likely set to continue, then NATO serves a useful purpose in that it keeps, ticking over, a basic level of military interaction between the US and a number of potentially willing European partners. It's not quite as grand a project as the Soviets Out and Germans Down, but neverthless could offer a profitable outcome for a modest outlay.

What role can Europe play in the pacific?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on June 14, 2011, 10:16:23 AM
It is obvious the Europe and the Med will have to one of those areas.  Libya is a trial run for the new reality: US interests there are zilch other than that the spice should flow.

What would you say are the US' main interests in the Pacific, and how are they different from their interests in Europe?

I've seen it repeated fairly regularly that the US' attention ought to shift and is shifting away from Europe and towards the Pacific, but I don't recall too much about why that's the case. I mean, there's a lot that boils down to "keeping China from getting too uppity", but that's a means to an end, not an end in itself right?

US wants to maintain the status quo in the Pacific.  In particular it wants to keep the trade lanes open, maintain favorable trade agreements, and prevent an arms race.  The issue of China is somewhat tricky as the US hasn't fully decided what to do.  It seems to be going about trying to include China into the world system but at the same time align the surrounding powers into something resembling containment.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2011, 10:42:07 AM

They can lose Dien Bien Phu again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on June 14, 2011, 10:47:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2011, 10:42:07 AM

They can lose Dien Bien Phu again.

I'm sorry what?

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on June 15, 2011, 06:27:07 AM
I'm sorry what?
He was just noting that the main effect of the many trees lining Paris boulevards is to allow the German Army to march in the shade.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 15, 2011, 06:46:03 AM
He was just noting that the main effect of the many trees lining Paris boulevards is to allow the German Army to march in the shade.

Good because these days if the German Army discovers they have to march in the sun their government will pull them out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Quote from: grumbler on June 15, 2011, 06:46:03 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 15, 2011, 06:27:07 AM
I'm sorry what?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know, are we doing the "I'm posting totally unrelated pictures I think might rile up the poster I'm replying to"?

I'm hesitating between the dude jumping from the WTC on sept. 11th or the one where I defecate all over your Babylon 5 discset.  :hmm: