Is it time for the US to re-evaluate our commitment to NATO?

Started by Berkut, June 10, 2011, 08:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2011, 12:42:45 PM
It is not irrelevant. Governments need to sell foreign ops to their electorates, and with the Taliban toppled and Afghanistan back to a complete mess there is just no way to do that. What was once an expedition to build a wonderful paradise of women's rights is now a waste of men and money to prop yet another warlord.
And the problem with NATO is that this discussion really cannot be had at the ministers level (i.e. the "when is enough enough?" discussion).  That's why I am thinking NATO has outlived its usefulness.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2011, 01:00:16 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2011, 12:47:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2011, 12:42:00 PM
That kinda defeats the purpose of collective security don't you think?
What has collective security got to do with this?

Is it or isn't it ridiculous to say you are defending someone that needs no defense?

NATO is a collective security organization.  The whole idea is that countries that aren't likely to be invaded (like say the US), help support and protect those that do have a chance of being invaded (like say Germany in the Cold War), thus deterring a potential aggressor.  Saying that you don't need to spend money on the military because the enemy probably won't get that far undermines the whole process and displays a great deal of irresponsibility.
So, in essence, you concede that the US is not defending any of the countries it is bitching about, which was my whole point.

I'm all for collective security, by the way. But that has nothing to do with sending men to overseas deployments.

Iormlund

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2011, 01:05:49 PM
And the problem with NATO is that this discussion really cannot be had at the ministers level (i.e. the "when is enough enough?" discussion).  That's why I am thinking NATO has outlived its usefulness.
I agree.

It is wise to keep common standards and train together. But we don't need a formal alliance for that.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2011, 01:05:49 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2011, 12:42:45 PM
It is not irrelevant. Governments need to sell foreign ops to their electorates, and with the Taliban toppled and Afghanistan back to a complete mess there is just no way to do that. What was once an expedition to build a wonderful paradise of women's rights is now a waste of men and money to prop yet another warlord.

Oddly enough, when I posted this thread I would have disagreed with you. Since the overwhelming response of the Euroes seems to be that they don't feel there is even a problem, I am shifting around to agreeing with you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2011, 01:10:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2011, 01:00:16 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2011, 12:47:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2011, 12:42:00 PM
That kinda defeats the purpose of collective security don't you think?
What has collective security got to do with this?

Is it or isn't it ridiculous to say you are defending someone that needs no defense?

NATO is a collective security organization.  The whole idea is that countries that aren't likely to be invaded (like say the US), help support and protect those that do have a chance of being invaded (like say Germany in the Cold War), thus deterring a potential aggressor.  Saying that you don't need to spend money on the military because the enemy probably won't get that far undermines the whole process and displays a great deal of irresponsibility.
So, in essence, you concede that the US is not defending any of the countries it is bitching about, which was my whole point.

I'm all for collective security, by the way. But that has nothing to do with sending men to overseas deployments.

Er, those countries also have responsibilities to other countries in the alliance countries don't they?  We all protect each other and we all contribute.  For a country like Germany to say, "We aren't in immediate danger, why should we contribute?" is abusive to the relationship.  During the Cold War the US was never in any danger of being directly invaded, yet the US did contribute heavily to the defense of Europe.  Now the frontier has moved east, and Russia is on the rise again.  We ask that Western Europe contribute to the alliance such as when we contributed to the Alliance when we weren't immediate danger.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Raz, why do you keep bringing defensive obligations to the argument?

Germany, to put forth your very own example, does not like to send troops to remote actions that have nothing to do with defense - which is what Gates is bitching about. Yet they still have a crapload of modern panzers, fighters or subs. What do you think would help most a neighboring NATO ally in case of Russian invasion?

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2011, 01:42:33 PM

Germany, to put forth your very own example, does not like to send troops to remote actions that have nothing to do with defense - which is what Gates is bitching about. Yet they still have a crapload of modern panzers, fighters or subs. What do you think would help most a neighboring NATO ally in case of Russian invasion?

Precisely. Gates (and Americans here) seem to equate the ability to send troops to Afghanistan or Libya with an ability to defend the NATO countries against an external invasion (i.e. NATO's purpose). It's apples and oranges.

grumbler

:lol:  So, one man's opinion becomes "the US" "bitching about" some countries?

QuoteI'm all for collective security, by the way. But that has nothing to do with sending men to overseas deployments.
Kinda ironic, given that almost any US participation in collective security would involve "overseas deployments."

I do understand your point, though; Spain's interests would not seem to be served by many overseas expeditions beyond those against pirates and the like.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on June 11, 2011, 02:02:36 PM
Precisely. Gates (and Americans here) seem to equate the ability to send troops to Afghanistan or Libya with an ability to defend the NATO countries against an external invasion (i.e. NATO's purpose). It's apples and oranges.
And since the defense against external threats is meaningless any more, NATO has served its purpose and should be folded, if that was its sole purpose.  I don't see why you (and Euros here) don't see this.

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: Martinus on June 11, 2011, 02:02:36 PM

If you don't have the fuel and munitions needed to support a handful of planes blowing up Khaddifi's shit, you sure don't have the fuel and munitions that would be needed to support the large number of planes that would be needed to blow up Russia's shit, should it ever come to that.

Iormlund

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2011, 02:13:11 PM
:lol:  So, one man's opinion becomes "the US" "bitching about" some countries?
This is hardly the first time this topic has come up. And every time it does the reaction of US posters is pretty much the same (Damned Yuro freeloaders!). It's only natural to detect a pattern.

Iormlund

Quote from: dps on June 11, 2011, 02:22:08 PM
If you don't have the fuel and munitions needed to support a handful of planes blowing up Khaddifi's shit, you sure don't have the fuel and munitions that would be needed to support the large number of planes that would be needed to blow up Russia's shit, should it ever come to that.
I think it is a safe bet to say someone would notice a Russian military buildup big enough to threaten the continent in time to get the munition stocks up.
If no one else, the bomb manufacturers ceratinly would.

Razgovory

Cause it's a alliance.  Defensive obligations are sort of the reason for alliances.

I imagine fuel and munitions  would be important to the defense of a country.  Since European states are bumming these off the US, that raises questions of the ability of any arm of defense.

From what I understand, this oversees adventure was pushed not by the US but by a leader of a European country.  However, our European friends seem incapable of doing it themselves, so they are essentially using the US as their military.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2011, 02:26:26 PM
Quote from: dps on June 11, 2011, 02:22:08 PM
I think it is a safe bet to say someone would notice a Russian military buildup big enough to threaten the continent in time to get the munition stocks up.

Yeah, that worked so well the last time.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Iormlund on June 11, 2011, 02:26:26 PMI think it is a safe bet to say someone would notice a Russian military buildup big enough to threaten the continent in time to get the munition stocks up.

The Russians don't need to "threaten the continent", they can easily threaten some peripheral NATO countries without a vast noticable buildup.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.