Is it time for the US to re-evaluate our commitment to NATO?

Started by Berkut, June 10, 2011, 08:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Iormlund on June 10, 2011, 04:19:34 PM
And what exactly are you defending us from?

You're more than welcome to deal with Russia by yourself.  That would be fun to watch.

Zoupa

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2011, 07:56:39 PM
As long as there is a Russia, there will be a need for our commitment to NATO.  Even if it's a NATO-lite, with just us and the Brits.

can i come..

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on June 11, 2011, 05:15:28 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2011, 07:56:39 PM
As long as there is a Russia, there will be a need for our commitment to NATO.  Even if it's a NATO-lite, with just us and the Brits.

can i come..

You can be in charge of the Iormlund Security Assistance Force.

garbon

Quote from: starbright on June 10, 2011, 09:36:43 PM
Without a frequent reminder that we are supposed to be friends little complaints will turn into long term resentments and unlike South Americans, Europeans CAN actually do something about it.

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on June 11, 2011, 09:07:04 AM
Without a frequent reminder that we are supposed to be friends little complaints will turn into long term resentments and unlike South Americans, Europeans CAN actually do something about it.
:huh:
Indeed.  What is Europe going to do?  Be poor at the US?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Seems like it is kinda tough for the likes of Greece, Ireland, and Portugal to buy munitions  :hmm:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Monoriu on June 11, 2011, 09:24:36 AM
Seems like it is kinda tough for the likes of Greece, Ireland, and Portugal to buy munitions  :hmm:

Ireland has no real airforce or even a member of NATO. the Irish have the neutrality bug.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 11, 2011, 09:28:34 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 11, 2011, 09:24:36 AM
Ireland has no real airforce or even a member of NATO. the Irish have the neutrality bug.
Given that their only export until the EU built them up was terrorism, they really didn't have anything to offer anyone anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

He is just another flavor of freedom-fries politician.
What planet are you from?  Robert Gates is about as far from a "freedom fries politician" as one can get.

QuoteEven if NATO serves no purpose as a military organization it is still useful as a political alliance. Europe is a potential superpower, unlike, let's say South America. I say people think in absolutes. Without a frequent reminder that we are supposed to be friends little complaints will turn into long term resentments and unlike South Americans, Europeans CAN actually do something about it.
Argument by assertion.  What utility has NATO had in political terms in the last 20 years?  The argument that South America is not a potential superpower is also mere assertion.  If they could unify they would be more populous than Europe by a 2050 and have far more natural resources than Europe.*

QuoteAnd he is not admitting that Europe helps US achieve things it cares about more than money. Bases in Europe protect them from a nonexistant threat, but support current US deployments. If the missile defense system is ever fully deployed it seems to do a lot more to protect American mainland than Europe.
None if this would have anything to do with NATO even if true.  The US could retain bases it wants or needs in Europe on a bilateral basis, as it does throughout the world.

QuoteIf Congress decides to withdraw from NATO the wise thing to do is let it end with a whimper. Even powerless and without US support NATO is still useful.
This makes no sense.  Why would the "wise thing" be to "let it end with a whimper" when "NATO is still useful" even without the US?

*Yes, this discussion of "potential superpowers" is irrelevant and childish, but it is also fun.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Iormlund

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 11, 2011, 12:42:07 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 10, 2011, 04:19:34 PM
And what exactly are you defending us from?

You're more than welcome to deal with Russia by yourself.  That would be fun to watch.
:lol:
I very much doubt Russia could get anywhere near the Pyrenees. And certainly never beyond those. Our only vulnerable enclaves are in Africa, and those are specifically excluded from NATO.