News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074786394/oath-chronicles-of-empire-and-exile/description

Cole Wehrle's (Root, Pax Pamir, John Company, An Infamous Traffic designer) next game. Looks grand and delightful--I'm in.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

More than half a million dollar pledged and almost three weeks to go still...
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

On the backs of John Company, Pax Pamir 2nd ed., and (more heavily) Root, it's no surprise. Cole is a hot name these days, and on my must-buy list. I don't think he's turned in a real dud yet, though I didn't really care for An Infamous Traffic.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

I pledged, just on the basis of John Company and Root. He is a designer who "gets" one core idea that many do not - that the key to a really great game is forcing the player to make hard decisions.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

I know. I appreciate his efforts at creating something new - and that leads me to forgive some of the weaker points of the games he designs (usually centered around victory points/conditions - which Oath seems to aim at transforming).

My only contact with Pax Pamir are the games you guys have been playing. The second edition looked gorgeous.

Still waiting for John Company 2nd ed...

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 15, 2020, 03:57:01 PM

Apparently in the works for a possible 2021 release, so you won't be waiting terribly long. Judging from Cole's comments on podcasts and the like, he's not going to be doing a huge overhaul like with Pax Pamir, but he's definitely going to be making changes. I suspect he's not content with the end-game, so here's hoping.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on January 15, 2020, 04:25:19 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on January 15, 2020, 03:57:01 PM

Apparently in the works for a possible 2021 release, so you won't be waiting terribly long. Judging from Cole's comments on podcasts and the like, he's not going to be doing a huge overhaul like with Pax Pamir, but he's definitely going to be making changes. I suspect he's not content with the end-game, so here's hoping.

THat would be outstanding. Such a really great game.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

I'm going to have to sell my copy this year if he gives a more definitive timeline.  :D

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

The John Company, Wherlegig edition May be as soon as March, according to rumors.

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 22, 2020, 08:20:30 PM
The John Company, Wherlegig edition May be as soon as March, according to rumors.

That seems pretty unlikely by my reckoning. Cole is normally much more communicative about the production pipeline than that.  :hmm:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Habbaku

I signed up for the playtest of that a while back, but they updated the rules seemingly every day and lost me. Still, I preordered--hoping it's a hit.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on January 29, 2020, 11:12:21 AM

That seems pretty unlikely by my reckoning. Cole is normally much more communicative about the production pipeline than that.  :hmm:

Yes, my bad. Pre-orders opening probably in March.

Habbaku

I hope you're right there, and I hope it coincides with his explaining what, if anything, will be changed. I might not sell my first edition if he has either an update kit or just revises the rulebook and uses existing pieces.

I'm still holding out hope for a "Bank of England" expansion, though, which he teased once upon a time.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

He initially suggested that very few things would be changed - but the later communications I have heard (along with the above rumor) is that the success and critical reception of Pax Pamir 2nd ed. has led him to reconsider. Whether or not that reconsideration will result in more extensive change remains to be seen.