News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Almost certainly not. Reviews on BGG are not positive and my viewing of others playing it made it look kinda rough.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Delirium

Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2019, 03:53:15 AM
Possibly of interest to some people here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbWzl1ucfuA&feature=youtu.be

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1957090458/war-room-a-larry-harris-game

Indeed, indeed. I backed this early and am looking forward to it. Looks interesting on many levels and there are a lot of dupes around to play with. Release has been postponed a bit but not more than what I suppose is the norm.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Oexmelin

I have acquired Robinson Crusoe. It's a brutal cooperative game with lots of theme and character. Perfect for our social group of gamers.
Also acquired Bloc by Bloc. Somehow, I think Languish would frown at this one.
Que le grand cric me croque !

celedhring

Yeah, Robinson Crusoe is great. The scenarios give it a lot of replayability, too.

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on January 02, 2019, 07:27:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2019, 09:34:24 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 01, 2019, 05:09:30 PM
Anyone check out SpaceCorp yet?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/214029/spacecorp

I have it and am itching to try it - will certainly get some play at NBW in a couple weeks.

I'll be interested in your assessment

Its fun, but a bit more Euroey then I expected. The theme does work, but the last phase has a lot of analysis min/maxing. IE, if I do this I can get 4 VPs, but if I do that I can get 5 VPs, and it takes a bit of time to calculate the one versus the other.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on February 13, 2019, 08:13:04 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 02, 2019, 07:27:06 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2019, 09:34:24 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 01, 2019, 05:09:30 PM
Anyone check out SpaceCorp yet?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/214029/spacecorp

I have it and am itching to try it - will certainly get some play at NBW in a couple weeks.

I'll be interested in your assessment

Its fun, but a bit more Euroey then I expected. The theme does work, but the last phase has a lot of analysis min/maxing. IE, if I do this I can get 4 VPs, but if I do that I can get 5 VPs, and it takes a bit of time to calculate the one versus the other.

Thanks
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Delirium

I have jumped on board and bought Thunder in the East, the first in a new series called Frank Chadwick's ETO. The box is filled to the brim with good stuff both literally and gamewise.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Berkut

Quote from: Delirium on February 21, 2019, 02:54:49 PM
I have jumped on board and bought Thunder in the East, the first in a new series called Frank Chadwick's ETO. The box is filled to the brim with good stuff both literally and gamewise.

I am a sucker for games that lets me build units up from sub-units (like Totaler Krieg). Definitely getting this...

0 rows returned

Delirium

Yes. I think it was the fact that they have a detailed plan for all coming games and how they fit together into a way too big footprint that reeled me in. Plus I like their notion of the east front being first in line because if you do not get that right the rest does not matter.

Maladict

That does look really nice. Sadly, I won't be able to fit even one of them on my table. Pass :(

Berkut

Quote from: Delirium on February 22, 2019, 03:22:20 AM
Yes. I think it was the fact that they have a detailed plan for all coming games and how they fit together into a way too big footprint that reeled me in. Plus I like their notion of the east front being first in line because if you do not get that right the rest does not matter.

Try a Vassal game?

0 rows returned

Delirium

It is just too big for that I think. No small scenarios at all, just different starting points of the whole shebang. Something of a flaw, not having a smaller training scenario of any kind...

Berkut

0 rows returned

Delirium

Sorry, I can't do those big-ass modules anymore. Too much effort.