News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogh

Mine has arrived. It's pretty, looks interesting, though less tight and elegant then Twillight Struggle.

Please share your impressions after play - it will be awhile before I'll get to play it.

Maladict

Picked up Tabletop Simulator at the steam sale. I think it will suit me better than PBEM, I just can't deal with that every day.
It does seem more than a little fiddly, though.

celedhring

I think Tabletopia works better than TTS, I find it's much easier to manipulate the pieces. Tabletopia's been the bread and butter of my gaming group throughout the lockdown.

What you gain on visuals compared to something like vandal you lose on scripting, though. Fiddly games are always going to be a bit of a drag.

Habbaku

Meanwhile, it looks like Mark Simonitch will be providing card protectors and tarot-sized cards for his new game, which I'm really looking forward to:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-755-caesar-rome-vs-gaul.aspx

QuoteBut no need to buy card sleeves, we are working on putting 55+ card sleeves inside every box. After finding out that it would cost a typical customer at least $10 to buy two packs of sleeves (necessary for 55 cards), I did some research on what it would cost me to include them in the box. It turns out it increased the unit cost by only about $1, so I footed that bill to put them in. We are not advertising it, and it won't be listed as a component in case we can't continue to do that in the future. It is a present for those first 4,000 who buy the game.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on July 03, 2020, 09:36:12 PMJohn Company campaign tomorrow. :yeah:

Can you post the link here when / if it shows up? I haven't seen anything yet.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

:unsure: Link to what?

I played the game with some friends locally.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Sorry - I thought you meant a Kickstarter campaign.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

That'll be late this year or, more likely, early-to-mid next year, I think.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: bogh on July 04, 2020, 05:17:15 AM
Mine has arrived. It's pretty, looks interesting, though less tight and elegant then Twillight Struggle.

Please share your impressions after play - it will be awhile before I'll get to play it.

I have very strong impressions after a first play despite some rough edges. The inherent balance-mechanism built into the game in the Treaty Points system is clever without being overwhelming in terms of offering extra options. The basic gameplay itself is rich in diverse options, and no overpowered strategy developed itself. You are generally encouraged by the system to go after short-term goals (market goods and the wars/regional VPs) while still building towards more long-term arrangements (alliances, squadrons, forts) where possible since those carry benefits over more than just the initial phase.

The game is in need of a handful of clarifications (which Ananda is rapidly handling) and has some amusing mistakes (there is a 4th conflict in the last war, for instance, but not a 3rd conflict), but held together very well.

In a total learning game where both players had to look up multiple things, double-check some rules, think a lot about potential for actions, rewinded a lot, and were generally distracted by RL on occasion, a friend and I managed to play a full game via Zoom in a little under 5 hours. I don't see experienced players taking more than 3 hours by the 2nd-3rd games, assuming reasonable play.

I plan on playing more rather soon.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

On a very cursory look at videos it appears much less elegant than TS, with lots of little rules and different kind of squares etc. That is a bit of  letdown. Not that I mind complexity, but I was expecting an 18th century TS.

Habbaku

It is an 18th century TS, though, at least in terms of what the major players are doing to push everyone else around per their whims. The mechanics are a little chunkier, sure, but the basic theme of two great powers manipulating the world is very much there.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

We're doing our first playthrough tomorrow. I hope this isn't the end of my marriage! :zipped:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

:lol: Let us know how it goes. I'm on my ~3rd game or so at the moment and just starting to grasp long-term strategy.

-J. R. R. Tolkien