News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Agelastus

Ah damn... :(

I still collect the GBOH games even if I don't play them much anymore.

Spent a good chunk of my second and third years at university playing self-designed battles with the GBOH games that had been released to that point* in a kind of pseudo campaign**; there was a games store in Finchley that had a lot of my custom in those two years.

*This sounds a little sad, in hindsight - I did also do the usual "going out and getting drunk" etc. items on the "things to do at university" list as well.

**IIRC Caesar won.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Maladict

Quote from: Agelastus on July 30, 2019, 06:39:32 AM

*This sounds a little sad, in hindsight - I did also do the usual "going out and getting drunk" etc. items on the "things to do at university" list as well.

Not sad at all. I regret wasting a lot of time at uni which could have been spent on board games. Or actually showing up at uni.

Habbaku

The Nevsky rulebook is out here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/185675/nevsky-final-rules.

It's Volko Ruhnke's latest, so I have pretty high hopes. Game looks great even if the box cover is stupid.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

The Series concept seems interesting although that wouldn't be my top choice of conflict to cover.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

I love this game description:

QuoteThe greatest nation in the world is in decline. A wealthy oligarchy has all the money, land, and power, leaving the masses to starve and struggle under the weight of oppressive debts. A bitter, partisan feud between polar opposites – liberal and conservative – finds no room for compromise. Government, once conducted with dignity and restraint, becomes a dangerous game of brinksmanship and obstructionism. The very foundations of the republic are undermined by demagogues and dictators, using civil unrest to seize power. Opponents are marginalized or made to disappear, with even murder given the veneer of legitimacy retroactively. The result is the collapse of the old order, and the establishment of new, totalitarian regime, with the populace often at the mercy of madmen and idiots, the venal and the vainglorious.

We are talking, of course, about the Roman Republic. Optimates et Populares is a political game for two players, in which players fight for the primacy and dominance of their ideology

Tamas

Habs, will we do a Languish game of Ancient Civilizations of the Inner Sea?

Habbaku

I'm willing to give it a shot, though I don't own the game. Assuming all the resources are online and at least one of us owns it...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Went on a small spree and the below is enroute;

Highway to the Reich  :XD:
Devil's to Pay:
A Bold Stroke
Kernstown - Boxed Edition
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: Berkut on February 22, 2019, 12:38:40 AM
Quote from: Delirium on February 21, 2019, 02:54:49 PM
I have jumped on board and bought Thunder in the East, the first in a new series called Frank Chadwick's ETO. The box is filled to the brim with good stuff both literally and gamewise.

I am a sucker for games that lets me build units up from sub-units (like Totaler Krieg). Definitely getting this...

Nice little designer blog on this very topic...

https://www.watchword.biz/post/the-death-and-rebirth-of-soviet-mechanized-forces?fbclid=IwAR3t0oqhhHB64cLiv11142adec4Im2oavY1hCe0o9yR-OKzCVznhhGaimqk

Starting a Vassal teaching us the game game...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on September 19, 2019, 11:11:23 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 22, 2019, 12:38:40 AM
Quote from: Delirium on February 21, 2019, 02:54:49 PM
I have jumped on board and bought Thunder in the East, the first in a new series called Frank Chadwick's ETO. The box is filled to the brim with good stuff both literally and gamewise.

I am a sucker for games that lets me build units up from sub-units (like Totaler Krieg). Definitely getting this...

Nice little designer blog on this very topic...

https://www.watchword.biz/post/the-death-and-rebirth-of-soviet-mechanized-forces?fbclid=IwAR3t0oqhhHB64cLiv11142adec4Im2oavY1hCe0o9yR-OKzCVznhhGaimqk

Starting a Vassal teaching us the game game...

Colossus Reborn by Glantz covers the subject of Soviet organizational TOE throughout WW2 in depth

Tamas

I am ridiculously excited to have my boardgaming table arrive from IKEA tomorrow. Especially ridiculous since knowing myself it'll be quite an ordeal to assemble (it's an extendable one).

Will make our big and airy bedroom look much smaller and busy, I expect, but still, it will have worth it.

I'll start with a nice campaign of Skies Above the Reich, then will probably break down and pick up 2 or 3 COIN games (Gandhi, Pendragon, and possibly Fire in the Lake.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on October 04, 2019, 06:22:53 AM
What table?

It's an IKEA dinner table. :P The Bjursta:

I read several wargaming guys liking it. It's 140cm by default but can be extended to 180 or 220.