Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on January 02, 2019, 12:01:09 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 01, 2019, 06:10:53 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 01, 2019, 05:09:30 PM
Anyone check out SpaceCorp yet?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/214029/spacecorp

Also anyone following The Tainted Grail?
http://awakenrealms.com/games/tainted-grail-the-fall-of-avalon/

I backed Tainted Grail. My group enjoys story-heavy games and this seemed fairly unique.

I was/am fairly interested in the idea, but am pretty gunshy about Kickstarter these days. If it turns out to be good, I'll definitely buy it second-hand.

Most of the games I get nowadays are from KS or P500. It's the place where I can find somewhat unique stuff, regular publishers seem to have stagnated creatively (with exceptions, of course).

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2019, 09:34:24 AM

I have it and am itching to try it - will certainly get some play at NBW in a couple weeks.

You should make sure yours isn't missing any cards. Apparently some are.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2019, 09:34:24 AM

I have it and am itching to try it - will certainly get some play at NBW in a couple weeks.

I'll be interested in your assessment
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on January 02, 2019, 12:20:13 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 02, 2019, 12:01:09 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 01, 2019, 06:10:53 PM

Also anyone following The Tainted Grail?
http://awakenrealms.com/games/tainted-grail-the-fall-of-avalon/

I backed Tainted Grail. My group enjoys story-heavy games and this seemed fairly unique.

I was/am fairly interested in the idea, but am pretty gunshy about Kickstarter these days. If it turns out to be good, I'll definitely buy it second-hand.

Most of the games I get nowadays are from KS or P500. It's the place where I can find somewhat unique stuff, regular publishers seem to have stagnated creatively (with exceptions, of course).

I am not sure cramming as many plastic toys into your game as humanly possible counts as creativity.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on January 03, 2019, 03:17:09 PM
I am not sure cramming as many plastic toys into your game as humanly possible counts as creativity.

Missed this.  :D

Yeah, there's loads of "bucket of minis" KS projects, but a lot of really creative stuff too. There's such a ludicrous amount of coming out on KS any given month (the bubble has to burst at some point surely) that there's always interesting projects.

The Larch

We started a campaign of Gloomhaven on friday in my group. Now that game is massive! The box weights like 10 kilos, no BS. It appears to be a modern version of Hero Quest on steroids. The system took a bit to get used to, and play was not super efficient at times, but it looks to have some great long term value.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 27, 2019, 07:26:20 AM
We started a campaign of Gloomhaven on friday in my group. Now that game is massive! The box weights like 10 kilos, no BS. It appears to be a modern version of Hero Quest on steroids. The system took a bit to get used to, and play was not super efficient at times, but it looks to have some great long term value.

My favorite game right now, got a session this afternoon  :)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Happy to hear that more people here is playing it. In which mission are you guys at? Which are your characters?

The Brain

We've played fewer than ten missions. Using the Brute, Tinkerer, Scoundrel, and Mindthief.

Also: if anyone posts any Gloomhaven spoilers without using spoiler tags I will find you. And I will kill you. I do this for a living.

The Larch

Quote from: The Brain on January 27, 2019, 10:43:51 AM
We've played fewer than ten missions. Using the Brute, Tinkerer, Scoundrel, and Mindthief.

Also: if anyone posts any Gloomhaven spoilers without using spoiler tags I will find you. And I will kill you. I do this for a living.

Is the overall story that important? I've only played the first mission, but it seemed quite generic fantasy so far. Is there anywhere where one can read about the background?

celedhring

What I like about the campaign is that it has loads of sidequests. We've played 15 missions but have barely advanced the main story, instead we followed a sidequest involving evil cults and evil-er demons, plus a few standalone missions.

The writing in Gloomhaven is above average for boardgame standards - which are not particularly high so don't expect anything groundbreaking. What I like is that the creator hasn't gone with generic races (dwarves, elves, etc...) so the game has a certain flavor to it. As you progress in the main campaign you come across a lot of information about the setting's history, so I wouldn't go out of my way to read it elsewhere.

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on January 27, 2019, 11:01:27 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 27, 2019, 10:43:51 AM

Is the overall story that important? I've only played the first mission, but it seemed quite generic fantasy so far. Is there anywhere where one can read about the background?

I don't know what the overall story is. And I don't want to know.

The Brain