News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on September 21, 2018, 08:56:47 AM
Anyone looking at getting this? https://uboot-the-board-game.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/

I have yet to see how this is different from a bog standard worker placement with a fancy plastic submarine in the middle.

celedhring

I almost bought it when it was on KS, but ultimately decided against it. I'm nearing the point where I have way too many good boardgames that I don't have enough time to play. Except Gloomhaven. I always have time for Gloomhaven.

Might end up preordering it, anyway. The theme is way too tasty.

11B4V

I am delving into Devil's Cauldron and Montelimar, Starkweather's reimage of Panzer Command system.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Oexmelin

Anyone played / compared Space Cadet and The Captain is Dead?

I came across both games over the week-end. The theme appeals to me, and was wondering if some of you had played them.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Berkut

GMT has their annual sale going. Basically anything in stock is 50% off.

I was thinking about picking up one of the Next War games. Anyone actually tried one?

Kind of tempted to get A World at War, just to ahve it...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Maladict

Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2018, 08:16:24 AM
GMT has their annual sale going. Basically anything in stock is 50% off.

I was thinking about picking up one of the Next War games. Anyone actually tried one?

Kind of tempted to get A World at War, just to ahve it...

I've been mulling over lots of options, but there aren't any instant purchases on that list.

Maybe Holland '44 and/or Unconditional Surrender. But if someone can tell me those are shit that's fine too, I have enough unplayed games as it is. :(

Berkut

Holland '44 is a good game.

The Supreme Commander is on sale for $30. And you get half off of that...so $15.

I know it had some issues on release - has anyone actually tried it out?

Right now I am looking at:

The Supreme Command ($15)
Clash of Giants: Civil War (also on sale and half off) ($17.50)
A World at War ($100)
Next War: Poland ($45)

Considering:

1914, Offensive à outrance ($57.50)

Someone talk me down!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Next War: Poland and 1914 look good. What about their Gallipoli game?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maladict

Delirium

I have tried several of those.  :hmm:

Supreme Commander was a bad game, so haters were right. Unconditional Surrender is better, though a bit special.

I have played A World at War and it is impressive to look at but actually close to unplayable.

I am a big fan of 1914 Twilight in the East, OaO is the sister game and a little watered down. Not bad in any sense and I suppose as good a west front treatmeant as you can get.

I like the basics in Simonitch's games, solid and playable, have not tried H44.

The only thing I am interested in in the sale is actually the next war games. People are saying Poland is complex with a confusing rulebook but I am tempted. Have a thing with modern conflicts currently.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

Apart from Collector's Edition World in Flames which gets most of my attention this year I have 1985: Under an Iron Sky on the table at home: https://trlgames.com/1985-under-an-iron-sky/
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Brain

Quote from: Delirium on October 20, 2018, 01:10:16 AM
I have played A World at War and it is impressive to look at but actually close to unplayable.

What makes it close to unplayable? I've only played ATR back in the day, never A World at War.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

I (think) this belongs here.  I'm not entirely sure, because the setup is unique.  Anyway, I played my first game of The Quiet Year tonight.  It's a map game driven by event cards and players being creative.  It was quite fun and I'm looking forward to giving it another go.  https://buriedwithoutceremony.com/the-quiet-year
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."